Ray's Books. And Copyrights!

by DwainBowman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

If you bothered to read the link, you wouldn't have asked this:

no on the contrary I'd love to make a contribution or pay a reasonable price for the books, I certainly wont be paying £100 a copy on ebay or Amazon,though, but how long will it be when the printing is resumed? how long is a piece of string?

because Cynthia said this:

I am presently considering three different routes to publishing Crisis of Conscience. I hope to make a decision within days and plan to publish within weeks. Please stay tuned on what I am doing. I plan to update this webpage with the latest information concerning the publishing of Raymond Franz works in print, Kindle and electronic formatting. I plan to work very hard to make Crisis of Conscience available to everyone that would like to have a copy.

Furthermore, she also explains, in clear detail, that it took about 18 months for the transfer of copyright through the Library of Congress. Then, she was gravely ill for 6 months. NOW she is finally able to address this matter of theft.

The reason she is accepting contributions is also explained in the link. Do you have reading comprehension issues? HMMMM?

Perhaps you could read the link instead of running your mouth.

Do you need translation?

• under the radar
    under the radar

I am very glad Ray's books will be legitimately available again. I have two hardback copies of each, plus a password protected PDF of each, ALL purchased from Commentary Press while Ray was still alive.

After Ray's death, when some here would talk of downloading bootleg copies, I would always try to discourage that by saying it was like stealing from Ray's widow.

I have no doubt that those who promoted downloading copies or even sold unauthorized reprints were well-intentioned. Maybe they thought the copyright died with Mrs. Franz and that profits from sales could no longer benefit her anyway. But now that they know the copyright survived her and the books are being put back in print legitimately, they should do whatever they can to make things right. One way they can demonstrate that their motives were pure would be to donate all profits they have made to the legitimate copyright holder and immediately stop selling any more copies. They should also stop distributing bootleg PDFs or e-books or even telling others where to find them online.

I'm going to suggest that Ms. Dykstra hire a professional narrator to record the books as audiobooks or mp3's and offer those as add-on or stand alone products. The guy who did Watchtower Comments would be my first choice. I have no idea who he is, but he has an excellent voice and I'm sure he would do a great job. I, for one, would be glad to pay for an audio version recorded by him or someone like him. That would make it easy to enjoy the books while walking or driving. And for those who can't have a hard copy at home for whatever reason, it would be a way to hear what Ray had to say without jeopardizing their personal situation.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    it cant take 18 months to transfer through the Library of Congress , I'm sorry but I'm just not accepting that we live in the 21st century not the 18th, and I like most of us have read the links,
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Let's talk about the business of being a writer for a minute. I have published two articles about the Watchtower, some unrelated business articles, a few blog entries. I also have written several unpublished novels. In about ten years of serious writing I've made just less than a thousand US dollars.

This is not unusual for a free lance writer. Contrary to popular opinion, there isn't much money in writing, unless you hit the jackpot and turn into the next J K Rowling or Stephen King. For every writer like that, there's a thousand like me. So you toil away for years, doing something you love or trying to deliver a message you think is important, and some idiot comes along and STEALS it.

Let's be clear about that. Taking somebody else's copyrighted material and publishing it yourself is theft. It's the moral equivalent of breaking into my house and taking my granddaughter's stamp collection. You have no moral or legal right to it, and attempts to justify taking it are just that - justifications.

I expect in the near future to self-publish a (JW related) novel on my blog. This time the manuscript is already done. I'm editing it and waiting for some input from a reviewer. I plan on serializing it on my blog, which will have a donate button if anybody want to throw some money in the tip jar. Those funds will then be used to get into electronic and print forms, which also takes time and money. I hope you enjoy it, and I hope you'll respect my copyright.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    >deleted<
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    >deleted<
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    thats it then, raise some valid objections and the responses are you dont know what you are talking about blah blah blah, typical.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door
    So I guess when we download the "Shepherd the Flock of God" book or host a link to download it, Watchtower gets pretty angry too?
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I'm glad! Those who earlier expressed interest in printing-when no one knew who owned them anymore- can now perhaps help the Dystras to get it going again. No excuse to bootleg them. Yay!

This is a good thing and I can't believe folks are trying now to make it about a drama or agenda. If you support the publishing of it, you now can help. If you want a legit copy, hopefully they will be available soon. Win-win.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Fair enough, Deborah says she will accept contributions to cover legal fees. I hope she can publish the books soon because that will provide a source of income and also stop any incentive to produce unauthorised copies. I appreciate some may still produce copies even when the book is available cheaply, but the incentive and therefore the temptation will be greatly reduced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit