Old Timer Field Service Nazis

by mole 8 Replies latest jw friends

• mole
    mole

Growing up a dub in the '70's & '80's, every congo seemed to have an old timer witness who was always looking to pick a fight at the door with the householder. Whether it was arguing about how many go to heaven, the trinity, or the existance of a firey hell, this witness of Jah had to have the last word before the door slammed in his face. Being a kid at the time, it was both frightening and entertaining working with this Bro. in the field.

Anyone have any similar tales?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Not that crazy... but I knew several "brothers" who would stick their foot in the door if the person tried to close the door.

• onacruse
    onacruse

eheh...this brings back a memory!

Back in the early 70s (as I recall), the WTS pressed hard for the right to go door-to-door in apartments, even if over the objection of the apartment manager...it was rather like "We have the Constitutional right!!!!"

So, anyway, Tom S. and I went to this small apartment complex, and the manager (a crotchety old guy ) told us we couldn't go in. Tom proceeded to lambast him with "We have the right! You can't stop us! We don't recognize your authority to keep us out of here!", totally in-your-face. Well, the guy got really pissed, and said he was gonna go get his shovel, and if we weren't gone when he came back, we'd have some bloody shins to show for our trouble.

Tom was ready to hang, but I convinced him that we could do better elsewhere. LOL What a coward I was.

Craig

• shamus
    shamus

If myself or any other witness ever did that I would expect that the foot would have to be surgicaly re-attached. If a witness ever came to my door and tried that they would be in the hospital, that's for sure. Not because I would beat them up; it would be because of massive trauma to they're foot.

They would probably limp for the rest of they're lives. Anyone who tries to invade my personal space is stepping over the line.

My only response to any subsequent police investigation is that this person was trying to break into my house, and shove his way in. I would also press charges against said individual for break and enter if the prosecutor would agree to it.

I do not take kindly to any of that nonsense; when I was in the lie and now. It has not changed.

• Gopher
    Gopher

The 60's were more of a confrontational time in the field ministry. Back then, EVERY religion seemed to think all the others were wrong. In my neighborhood, the Catholics thought the Lutherans were going straight to hell because they did their church service all wrong.

Times changed in the 70's. People started wearing jeans going to church, and became more indifferent about the doctrinal differences between different faiths.

I think things changed on BOTH sides of the doorway when the JW's called. The people cared less about the differences, and the JW's also adapted by arguing less and emphasizing the paradise hope more.

It seemed like the elders didn't always set the most zealous example in door-to-door service. They ended it as quick as they could and then always went back on the same old return visits they'd been doing for years. The younger elders who tried to do more door-to-door didn't seem to have the zest for argumentation that had been the trend in decades past.

As far as access to apartments, we were told to avoid confrontation and just come back when the objecting landlord or manager was nowhere to be seen. Also, we took note of WHICH unit the caretaker lived in, and were sure to call there last. If there were any objections, it was too late -- we already had the building covered!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Oh yes --remember him well in about 1988 -- almosy beligerent with some householders -- argue, argue, argue and always insisting he was right and no other viewpoint possible

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Mole, this story of mine kinda fits>

We had one elder that I loved being around because he was so entertaining. Us young guys ALWAYS got put with him, it was a gimme.

He would argue the Trinity with everyone.

Pointing his bony finger at people with his oversized knuckles. He could likely mess someone up if he wanted to.

This is my favorite story of him:

At one door he was placing the mags with his RV. He was on the householder?s stoop and was reaching to give his RV the mags. As he reached into the door, the RV?s dog lunged out and grabbed onto this old elders hand!

The elder didn?t miss a beat.

He got the dog to release his hand, and then he kept on giving his presentation with my friend at the door. The elder was getting blood all over the mags. He switched to his good hand and finally gave the RV the mags. The elder kept talking and at the same time was putting the injured hand to his mouth, sucking out the blood, and then spitting the blood out onto the ground!

The elder figured that he should go to the KH and clean out the wound. He brought my friend in the KH with him and they started washing out the wound, but it kept on bleeding. The elder then brought out a 1 st Aid Kit and had some antiseptic cream that he wanted rubbed on the wound. My friend had to take the cream and rub it on his wound. As he was rubbing it on, he was actually filling in the large dogs bite marks in with the cream like it was wood putty for filling in nail holes. The cream was turning pink from all of the blood. My friend said it was disgusting.

The elder was finally talked into going to the hospital.

• blondie
    blondie

I only had one JW start a fight with a person at the door in the 45 years I went door to door. I never went with that JW again and gave them the riot act in the car and told the service overseer.

Blondie

• garybuss
    garybuss

Oh yeah! I saw that all the time. I thought that fighting with the home owner was the purpose of service. I was a Witness kid in the 50's. Later the focus turned to sales of literature and repeat business. Then the focus turned to recruiting new members with the 1975 hype. Then the focus turned to belly pushing me away from a candy vending machine and costume compliance enforcement and I left.

Now I don't think a JW will even finish a sentence at a door if they are challenged. They sure don't finish sentences to me anyway. GaryB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit