Elder Cleared of Fondling

by Doubtfully Yours 2 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Elder cleared of fondling By CP

BRANDON, Man. -- Gordon Watson has been found not guilty of sexually assaulting an elderly hospital patient after a judge ruled a photo lineup used to identify Watson unfairly highlighted him as a suspect. The 42-year-old former Jehovah's Witness elder broke down in tears and embraced family members following Judge Krystyna Tarwid's decision on Wednesday.

"As you can see, I am very relieved this is over," Watson said outside court after the decision. "I want to get on with my life. The past year and a half has been terrible for our family. Our life has been ruined here. Our home used to be in Brandon but is no longer here because we were kicked out of the city, because of the media, unfortunately."

ACCUSED OF SEXUAL ASSAULT

Watson was accused of sexually assaulting a 76-year-old woman as she was lying in her hospital bed at the Assiniboine Health Centre on Aug. 3, 2002.

The woman said a man walked into her room, identified himself as a doctor and proceeded to open her housecoat and kiss her breasts.

The woman, who described her attacker as well groomed and nattily attired, later picked Watson's photo from a police photo lineup including seven other pictures.

• Mulan
    Mulan

He may have been innocent. What a shame if he was. It's hard to live down this kind of stigma, even if you are innocent, there will be those who think you were not.

• cypher50
    cypher50

Not only does he have to live down the stigma of being a pervert in the public's eye but also among the JW's (if he chooses to stay a JW)...it is better to investigate all claims like this of course but it is so saddening when the person could be innocent and has to go through this...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit