So much time wasted!

by StephaneLaliberte 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Since I have left almost 4 years ago

• I have become a green belt in Karate classes.
    • Have got permits to own guns and go hunting
    • Learned new technologies and got a new job
    • Read a least 10 books on various subjects.
    • My wife completed a course in college.
    • Explored the local Museums and family activities more than ever
    • Travelled to various places
    • Spend much more time camping (Fishing, boat, camp fire, etc).

Truly, I can say my life is much more productive and rewarding then it was when I was a JW spending about 15 hrs/week doing the same thing over and over again. I was reading plenty of books and publications, listening to JW videos and audios, believing I was educated by the volume of information I was getting. Looking back, I now see how much this information was repetitive, subjective and misleading. And the worst, I was allocating so much time into it! I can’t help but wonder where I’d be had I left 10 years ago, when I joined this site! What a waste!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Well done on your achievements since leaving.

I look back and think what those 6-8 hours a week could've been devoted to. Learning a language, learning a martial art, college etc. I plan to do all those things now that i have the freedom and time.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I was spending 25 hours a week in FS (100 hours a month as a 1960 era pioneer) and another 15 to 20 hours a week giving talks preparing for and attending meetings. Not to mention assemblies etc.

When my wife and I left it seemed like we gained a ton of time to do useful things.

I was always a reader so that didn't change. To this day I average 5 to 7 books a month. I am retired and for the last 20 years I work as a volunteer on behalf of my community trying to make this area a little better on various levels.

My take away is this........when one spends so much time on the JW nonsense and then you exit........ it's like you have gained time wise an additional life.

• flipper
    flipper

STEPHANE- Good thread, thanks for posting. I'm really happy to see that you and your wife are experiencing many varied interests and enjoying life ! When we were in the JW cult - we were never really LEARNING anything we were just being INDOCTRINATED or mind controlled like puppets to put forth the WT Society's message.

Like you and your wife In the 13 years I've been out I've enjoyed pursuing writing & playing music, exploring in the mountains, reading tons of books on history, cut back my business from 5 nights a week to 3 nights a week- yet still make about the same if not more $$$ . Life has been getting better and better the more involved with these pursuits I enjoy. My wife and I grow a beautiful organic vegetable garden on our mountain property and breathe fresh air. What more could you ask for, right ? Many of us here are SO lucky that we escaped this dangerous mind control cult while we still have time in life to enjoy positive pursuits- it's really how I look at things now. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Looking back, I now see how much this information was repetitive, subjective and misleading. And the worst, I was allocating so much time into it! I can’t help but wonder where I’d be had I left 10 years ago, when I joined this site! What a waste!

I have to admit that me and other ex-JWs I know feel a lot of anger over the time wasted. In fact, accepting the horrendous waste of time, energy and one's life in the WT crap is in fact something that some current JWs can't face and prefer to stay.

It's not an easy thing to look back and accept. I find comfort in the fact that I was a born in, that at least it wasn't my choice to become a JW. But it is angering knowing of all the time wasted in this life preparing for the next.

Thank you for sharing this.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And not to mention the time wasted on those stupid missions. If you wasted the 2 weeks going to Israel in 2015, or are planning on doing so in 2017 (or already did), you are wasting enough time to do something worthwhile. In two weeks, you could do research on how to cleanse your pineal gland and gather at least some of the materials to do this (such as boron and high-dose iodine). In two weeks, you could research the financial system and put some of the Israel trip money into silver or gold (or both). In two weeks, you could dig up a sizable piece of land and get a decent garden going. In two weeks, you could do a minor remodel of your kitchen or bathroom (presuming no walls need to be rebuilt or extensive work done on the existing ones). In two weeks, you could get a computer and learn to use it.

Two weeks is also enough time to get a decent vacation going. You could find a theme park near where you live and build a vacation around that (and, if you are in or near New England, Palace Playland in Old Orchard Beach Maine is a prime place to do that). Two weeks spent in the woods, near the ocean, or in a big city depending on where you live could be better than wasting two weeks preaching to high ranking rabbis that are only going to use whatever you place to render black magic against the whole human race.

Not to mention the money it wastes. With the money you are probably going to spend or probably did (if you went or are thinking of going), you could buy a whole monster box of silver. This would also be enough to get some new furniture (assuming you do not need the highest end furniture that can have six figure price tags). A whole new dining room costs the same as the mission. You could also get a decent big screen LED TV set, a DVD/BluRay player, and a decent recliner or sofa with that money. Or, it could put a nice dent on whatever student debt you may have racked up.

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

Good for you! And for your wife too! I wish my husband would totally get out with me. Life could be so lovely, and it still is, so long as we're not plagued by any of the hang ups at the KH.

So...you have a boat? Sounds like a lot of fun! Nothing better than a day on the water.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I now play shit loads of Xbox.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit