Homeless guy begs with the Watchtower

by ShirleyW 9 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

After that crazy story about the bride and groom going out in service in their wedding attire, that reminded me of a scene yesterday in one of the subway stations, a disheveled homeless guy had one hand out begging for some money, "does anyone have some spare change to help me " he kept saying, in his other hand was a copy of the magazine. So what must've happened was some Dub passed him by and instead of giving him a quarter gave him a copy of the latest publication. Although some of the beggars use their money for alcoholic beverage anyway instead of food I'm sure that magazine will be put to good use when he feels the need to take a squat somewhere and needs some paper. Maybe that's why he was holding on to it, I came back to the same station after doing my errands about two hours later and he was still there, magazine still in hand.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor
    When i last visited Germany i noticed almost all the homeless/beggers had Watchtower magazines. The witnesses get to count them as placements in their report and the homeless get to wipe their ass after taking a dump in a dark ally somewhere. Everybody wins.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

In the Watchtower mindset, that is the BEST way to help a homeless person. I remember a picture in one of the publications showing a JW doing just that.

• schnell
    schnell
    I know a JW who tweets Bible verses to Britney Spears. The delusion that Bible verses and Watchtower litter-ature will magically save somebody is preposterous.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My Son told me that yesterday in downtown Seattle, he heard someone maniacally shouting what he immediately recognized as "JW" terms. He looked around only to see an insane homeless man sitting on the sidewalk reading out loud from a Watchtower. He figured he got it off of one of the literature carts from a JW who was anxious to shoo him away.

" IN VIEW OF THE FOREGOING, IT WOULD BEHOVE ALL THINKING PERSONS TO TAKE HEED OF THE WARNINGS SET FORTH IN THE SCRIPTURES TO RETURN TO JEHOVAH BEFORE THE GREAT DAY OF GOD THE ALMIGHTY ARRIVES UPON THEM AS A THEIF IN THE NIGHT !!! "

• kpop
    kpop

Yes but you must remember this is how the JW operates. They actually feel that it is better to give this man bible literature so he becomes a JW, shaves, get's new clothes and suddenly his life is on the right track. To be honest I do not see this as bad. I think it is better to teach this man how to live so he can benefit himself. But at the same time the JW would never help a poor man out. Their money is for the WTBTS only!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

They actually feel that it is better to give this man bible literature so he becomes a JW, shaves, get's new clothes and suddenly his life is on the right track. To be honest I do not see this as bad. I think it is better to teach this man how to live so he can benefit himself. But at the same time the JW would never help a poor man out. Their money is for the WTBTS only!

I would agree that in some cases, any form of structure to live by (even the JW's) is a step in the right direction to get someone back on the right track. In the case of the individual I was commenting on, it was pretty clear that his issues were more problematic than what a bath, a shave and a watchtower article could resolve. He was obviously in need of medication and long term mental care from highly trained professionals whom by the way, the good folks at the Watchtower, view as being part of Satan's WICKED organization.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

After that crazy story about the bride and groom going out in service in their wedding attire...

...I know a JW who tweets Bible verses to Britney Spears. The delusion that Bible verses and Watchtower litter-ature will magically save somebody is preposterous.

Gee! Just when I thought I've heard it all! What the heck is wrong with some people!!!

I have to agree that many JWs feel that the best they can do for a homeless person is giving them a WT magazine. Just like people who think that giving them food in thanksgiving or Christmas is all they have to do to help. I have to say, having worked in human services and understanding a little more about homelessness, I can see how much misinformation there is here in USA about homelessness and people who have no place to call home.

• Chook
    Chook

When I was in I asked a " friend elder" could my son stay at his house for 2 nights for work commitment . Response was he's not JW shove it,then I asked could he sleep on garage floor same response. What a loving lot. If the samaritian had slept on bethel steps that where he would have stayed.

• LV101
    LV101

It's pathetic they have to beg for food/covering unless they've made a career doing this -- and many have, unfortunately. Very sad they hold on to JW literature for their hope. The JW cult knows nothing about charity yet they get all the benefits of a tax-free corporation.

I agree, scatchme1010, two holiday meals a yr. is nothing but I think many charities and churches provide food every day of the year. Whatever they do it's obviously not enough and the mental/medical needs of many are not being met.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit