Mobile Hotspot - JWFACTS.COM - Assembly & Conventions

by thedepressedsoul 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    An even better idea is to setup a PirateBox. It doesn't provide internet access, but it does provide access to files and chat. Some have done it over on reddit.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. What I like about my idea is it simply just shows itself to everyone in attendance that has a wifi enabled device. They choose if they want to visit the site. Has anyone ever confirmed if forcing a JW to view a site actually does anything? I always figured it was their curiosity when they see something and start to look into it.

Example: They see jwfacts.com on the wifi and type it in later while at home and start to read it.

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

I like it.

You could perhaps name it 'Apostate' and have them feeling really uncomfortable as they know there's an apostate declaring their presence right in their midst. The idea could catch on as more awakened ones see this and the idea could spread.

I'm just imagining the whole place covered by 'Apostate' WiFi :D

Now that would send a message!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    thedepressedsoul
    I always figured it was their curiosity when they see something and start to look into it.

Image result for curious cat pic

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

A piratebox is a file sharing box. It broadcasts a wifi signal. It will show as an available wifi connection. After someone connects to it, any website they go to will redirect them to the homepage of the box. Similar to how Starbucks, Target, and other companies redirect you to an agreement page when connecting to their wifi. You can put files and information on the home page of the box. There is also a chat feature that can be setup.

There are a couple of ways to set one up. If you have an old Android phone that is rooted, you can use it. Otherwise there are devices you can buy for around $50. One who tried it at a convention said that he saw several people connecting and that attendants were going around trying to figure where the signal was the strongest to try and locate the box.

• Simon
    Simon

Wouldn't a captive portal be better? That way someone wanting to browse who maybe has auto-connect to open wifi (which they may not see the SID of) will see a welcome page which could have some explanation, information and links.

Another alternative would be to allow pass-through traffic but route jw.org content through a proxy to re-write some content or add additional information. That way it isn't as immediately obvious that it is "apostate" (screams)

[edit: yes, post above describes the captive-portal part of it]

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    There are a couple of ways to set one up. If you have an old Android phone that is rooted, you can use it. Otherwise there are devices you can buy for around $50. One who tried it at a convention said that he saw several people connecting and that attendants were going around trying to figure where the signal was the strongest to try and locate the box.

That made me laugh and I wouldn't mind trying that. I like the old Android phone idea. 1. They can't search you and 2. Good liking finding it. The signal is the same up to 50 ft and a 50ft radius at an assembly or convention could be 100's of people. Plus, act like you're taking notes and nod your head after everything the speaker says. You'll be the least suspected verse some teenage kid looking like he wants to shoot himself.

• Actigall Ur
    Actigall Ur

@depressedsoul- Shhhhh! But I like the way you are thinking. I suggest doing this on an old laptop that fits in your cooler bag and attaching a WiFi boosting antenna so that the signal will be strong within a 150 foot (50m) range and their chance of locating you will be greatly reduced.Very cheap to do and easy.

Edit: If money is not an issue then the suggestion from tim3I0rd is even better. Piratebox- or try this link

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/build-wireless-dead-drop-file-sharing/

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I've done the Piratebox thing. Pics of my tiny setup.

There is fun to be had with SSID's too.

• username
    username

I dare someone to set up a hotspot called Satan.org...

---edit--- would you believe clicking on that link takes you to a page that says domain already taken haha

• Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

Just reading up about the piratebox idea.

You could load it up with all sorts of tempting files to download.

• Shepherd The Flock Book
    • BOE letters
    • Answers to upcoming meetings
    • Crisis Of Conscience

Right in their midst.

Loving this! :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit