Mobile Hotspot - JWFACTS.COM - Assembly & Conventions

by thedepressedsoul 166 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Most JWs don't know what JWFacts is. They will feel tricked no matter what.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    BTW, anyone looking to build a piratebox that does not already have a device should look at the TP-LINK TL-MR3040. It's a portable router that already runs on battery power and piratebox can be easily installed on it. The battery lasts about 2 - 3 hours, but that could be extended by connecting it to an external USB battery pack.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Most JWs don't know what JWFacts is. They will feel tricked no matter what.

They may not know what JWFacts is but if I was a kool-aid drinking JW and saw an open WIFI connection called JWFacts I would not connect to it as I'd know that it wouldn't be WT sanctioned. OTOH if I was starting to wake-up or searching for answers and saw an open WIFI called JWFacts, I'd connect to it out of curiosity and wouldn't feel tricked.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I see what you mean. Your clarification complements your first statement well and any assumptions I may have made about your stand have now dissipated

• TheListener
    TheListener

Since most dubs arent very tech savvy you could name the Wi-Fi signal "I_know_your_mom_is_apostate". Half the dubs seeing that would actually believe it was written just for them.

Imagine the lunch scene when dozens of children confront their mothers about being apostate. 😎

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just to bump this back. I am off to the RC near me soon and planning on doing the mobile HS thing again.

I am going to do "Follow Kevin - jwfacts.com".

I'd love to see more hot spots around as well as it would be a cool way of knowing there are others awake around about.

• bohm
    bohm

konceptual99: Please let us know how it went!. I think it is a great idea that should be spread more; If I ever go to a convention I will do it just for fun.

I don't want to alarm you, but make sure that you are not accidentally sharing anything by default on your phone like photos (I would try to connect to the phone with another computer and click around to see if anything showed).

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

All you have to do is put a password on. I would not let anyone connect for the exact reasons you discuss but if there is a complex password then it's essentially just showing the SSID.

I was going to use an old phone but I just tried it and it needs a SIM and I don't have a spare one.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Keep us posted to see how many "join" your network!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Well I did a hotspot today at Brighton...

#kevinlyclass - jwfacts.com

I did not let anyone join it to prevent any risk of being hacked or me accidentally outing myself but I did get a message from one person on this board saying they saw it. Hopefully others did too.

The only thing is that the HS turns off after a while due to lack of connections and I've not found a way of keeping it on. Another thing I would like to do is change the SSID every hour or so to a new message but it's a bit difficult to do that safely at my seat and I don't want to be up and down all the time. Perhaps there is an app for that :-)

When I last did it at Haysbridge the attendents saw it and there was loads of activity as they thought there was about to be an apostattack any second :-) Didn't notice the same activity at the Amex though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit