THE GOODBYE GIRL Neil Simon take 2 Must see

by wednesday 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• wednesday
    wednesday

http://www.tnt.tv/Title/Display/0,5918,445411,00.html

A link to the Goodbye Girl with Patrica Heaton and Jeff Daniels. I watched it last night on TNT and it was good, and i think Heaton really did an excellent job . I feel her performence was as good as Marsha Meason's in the original. But when it came to Jeff Daniels, well NO one can top Richard Drefess in his original role. Sorry jeff, Richard owns that role.

anyone else see it, or the original?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Hello Weds. Goodbye Girl, was one of the first movies CJ and I went to see while dating. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to see a remake. Marsha and Richard, ..... well it was like real. And the daughter, well it mirrored our situation.

Jeff Daniels. Every time I see him or his name in print, all I can remember is that scene from Dumb and Dumber, when they are on the motorcycle, and the frozen snot on their faces. LOL

• wednesday
    wednesday

HI xjwb12, , about your avatar-i miss the teeth(lol) So this is one of your dating movies? how sweet

It was hard watching jeff ruin richards role. Iti s on TNT tonight at 8p est and sunday 8pm est. I watched Friday night and , well it was good, but, jeff doesn't hold up well.Richard is a hard act to follow..

• wednesday
  • lastcall
    lastcall

I saw them both...Heaton was great....Jeff Daniels was IMO just awful, particularly when he attacked Heaton in the bathroom "passionately".

I got the feeling that in real life she would have kicked him in the nuts. He was over the top.....your right wednesday, Dreyfus is a tough act to follow in that role.

LC

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am so sick of the ads for that show that I vowed not to watch it. When I watch anything on TNT, I have to endure Hootie and the Blowfish singing the entire song during at least one commercial. I'm sick of it!!!!!!!!!! Maybe now they will stop those irritating ads.

For what it's worth, the original version of the song was MUCH better. MUCH!!!! And I loved the first Goodbye Girl, and can't even imagine a remake with people the ages of Heaton and Daniels (mid to late 40's). The ads in the paper said they are at least 10 years older than Marsha Mason and Richard Dreyfuss were in the first one. They were so good.............it would be like the remake of Sabrina..............disappointing.

Maybe if you hadn't seen the original, it would be good. I like both of the actors.

• wednesday
    wednesday

he he Mulan,

really u should see it, just so u can remeber how good the original was. Richard's role , well as i said, jeff did not recreate it. Patrica, on the other hand, was quite good.

• wednesday
    wednesday

It's a rainy day in Dallas, welll it has been for the last 2 days, and my hubby is helping me rearrange furniture. So i have time to kill. So i am posting way more than usual.

• sandy
    sandy
    it would be like the remake of Sabrina..............disappointing.

Mulan, I totally agree with you on this 100% .

I watched the remake of The Goodbye Girl and I was thoroughly disappointed. I really like when they do remakes but more often than not, I am not satisfied.

The one movie I can think of off hand that I thought Hollywood did an excellent job of recreating was

You've Got Mail. IMHO that was an excellent remake of Jimmy Stewart's movie The Shop Around The Corner.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

The original is one of my favorite feel-good romantic comedy movies. My husband and I watched the remake this weekend, and thought it was just a clone of the original, down to the mannerisms. My husband's point was that it's a Neil Simon play, and there isn't a lot of wiggle room for playing the characters differently than the original, and since they were played so memorably by Mason and Dreyfus I wasn't likely to enjoy anyone else in the roles.

Basically, it reminded me how much I liked the original, and we went and replaced our VHS copy with a DVD this week.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit