January 16, 2017 BOE US, PUERTO RICO, AND THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS Re: Real Property Tax Exemption Verification

by wifibandit 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wifibandit
  • notjustyet
    notjustyet

I thought all title were within the control of the WTBTS. Didn't know that local kh had control anymore.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

Ownership does reside at the local level. Current bylaws that are being put into place state that if the kingdom Hall is sold the proceeds go to Watchtower bible and tract society or a corporation designated by the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses. And the board of directors at the local level is made up of local individuals who are elected by the voting members of the title holding congratulation. Normally voting members are defined as this of majority age in that state who are baptized and have their active publisher cards at that congregation.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Thanks wifibandit!

Momma WT always has to micromanage for heaven knows the appointed men aren't fit to take care of things by themselves and aren't allowed out from under Momma's skirt 😀

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

It is a good reminder for the title holding congregation to remember to do this. There was one case where the congregation bought a piece of property, in Philadelphia, they were deciding on the design for the Kingdom Hall they wanted to build on it. They never filed the paperwork to try and get it exempt from property tax, and they didn't bother looking to see if it had a tax lien on it. Eventually the property was seized by the county and sold at auction, so the congregation was out the purchase price for the land, it was around 250k

• blondie
    blondie

As an elder, MS and an accountant my husband handled this in the congregations we were in. Many elders have no understanding of the need to do this and have let it slide.

As the parent non-profit the WTS can at any time dissolve the congregation that currently holds the territory/land the KH is on, the one from which the 3 trustees/elders are members and take direct control

I can understand why many congregations lack someone in charge that knows what is going on.

• JHK
    JHK

Thank you.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

This is simply a reminder for the title holding congregation to do the required paperwork as part of their corporation who holds the title. Not hall has someone who can explain to the others the ins and outs of a very complicated system that each state and county has for tax-exempt status.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has sent letters out like this before. The BOE has no idea and figures it is not necessary from their "legal" knowledge.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I encourage the Org to take possession (and sell) as many KHs and AHs as possible.

Anything that makes it easier for faders, fakers, and fence-sitters to f**k off.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit