"What is in it for me."

by stuckinarut2 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

How can I be specific regarding the do's and dont's of God? We have the scriptures, but they are very basic. Within that basic framework, God seeks to work for the good of a person while at the same time glorifying himself through our lives. Our lives are all different from each other and the way he seeks to glorify himself in each believer is different, just as each person's idea of "self betterment" is different from others. God accommodates all of this with the basic framework of the scriptures.

God seeks a reciprocal relationship and to get people to move beyond religion. There can be no real disobedience, (nor any moral virtue for that matter) in obedience, unless a person recognizes the higher authority and the goodness of the one giving the orders. If this recognition does not exist, the one giving the orders may view the other person’s disobedience as freedom. If one rules another by saying, “You must do this,” and, “You will do that,” he breaks the human spirit, making it unfit for God. A person is simply a slave for obeying, unless behind his obedience is the recognition of a holy God who is actively seeking your betterment.

Many people begin coming to God once they stop being religious, because there is only one master of the human heart— Jesus Christ, not religion. But “Woe is me” if after seeing Him I still will not obey (Isaiah 6:5 , also see Isaiah 6:1). Jesus will never insist that I obey, but if I don’t, I have already begun to sign the death certificate of the Son of God in my soul. When I stand face to face with Jesus Christ and say, “I will not obey,” He will never insist. But when I do this, I am backing away from the recreating power of His redemption. It makes no difference to God’s grace what an abomination I am, if I will only come to the light. But “Woe is me” if I refuse the light (see John 3:19-21). - Oswald Chambers
  • sir82
    sir82

When I stand face to face with Jesus Christ and say, “I will not obey,” He will never insist. But when I do this, I am backing away from the recreating power of His redemption.

Sounds like blackmail. Or armed robbery.

"Your money or your life". I am free to to say "I will not obey". The robber won't insist - he'll just shoot me if I don't make the "right" choice.

• Perry
    Perry

You are confused on who the criminal is. You might have a point if at that judgment the person was without sin. God doesn't force anyone to obey just as he doesn't force anyone to accept a pardon.

If God doesn't judge sin, then that would make the enabler of sin without justice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit