New Tactic?

by imzadi 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• imzadi
    imzadi

Early this morning while on my way to work I stopped off at Starbucks, my usual routine. While I was in line waiting for my coffee, a frail young woman loaded down with magazines wondered among the tables offering people "something to read". I did a double take as I recognized her as the same woman who had approached me in the parking lot while I was loading my car with groceries, and again when I had my nails done just before the holidays. My neighborhood must be her territory. But this is a Thursday morning. I thought JWs usually go out in service on weekends?

Anyway, this is something I've only noticed recently. It's been at least 3 years since any JWs have knocked on my door. When I first started living here I would see them around at least once a quarter. Is the door to door campaign being phased out for a new tactic? .

Iz

• Sassy
    Sassy

Pioneers go out every day just about. Actually Thursday was always a regular meet for service midweek service day for a lot for publishers back in my home congregation.

as far as a change in Tactics.. yes.. and no.. They still go door to door but they have been for some time going in alternate ways of finding people..

leaving no stone left unturned...

I remember when a new CO was assigned to us (in Minnesota) and his first assignment was in the summer.. he told us when he came back for his next visit, he was going to go out on the frozen lakes and talk to the fisherman in their little fishing houses on the ice.. We all thought he was nuts..

low and behold that is exactly what he did

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I wondered about that too, because I haven't seen any Witnesses in my neighborhood for two years; however, I pass by an elder's house on Saturday mornings on my way back from the donut shop and, running kind of late this past Saturday, noticed at least 8 cars in front of the house and people coming out of the house ready to go in service. (Slept in a little TOO long that morning.) So I guess they're preaching somewhere, just not in Murphy.

I'm sure they're getting the same drivel about "going where the people are," so you may have run into either a regular or auxiliary pioneer starting her time, or someone who actually listens to the crap coming from Brooklyn.

Nina

• Sassy
    Sassy

They are also doing a lot more 'telephone' witnessing.. they meet at the hall, or each others houses and sit around in a circle and take turns calling people in the phone directory..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks like a pioneer found some "fresh" territory and will work it until the business owners ask her to leave.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I know my mom likes to hit bus stops and talk to people while they wait for the bus..

She starts her time that way...

Maybe this is a pioneer who lives near the Starbucks... stops to get her time started .. then she can drive to the hall for the meeting and keep counting time??

• imzadi
    imzadi
    I remember when a new CO was assigned to us (in Minnesota) and his first assignment was in the summer.. he told us when he came back for his next visit, he was going to go out on the frozen lakes and talk to the fisherman in their little fishing houses on the ice..

This reminds me of a story my brother-in-law told me years ago about his grandparents who owned a dairy farm in MN during the 1960s. One day some missionaries his family will only refer to as "Tamborine Bangers and Bible Thumpers" came through and put on minstrel-type shows for "donations" while they preached "The Word of God". By this time the couple was quite elderly and were completely taken in by these "good Christian young people". Over a period of about 18 months they gave these missionaries more than half their life savings and were persuaded to sell their farm to "the cause" for only a fraction of its real worth. My brother-in-law's parents knew what was hapening, but were unable to persuade the grandparents from giving away their farm or their money to these con artists. "We have to help them, they're Christians!" was the standard reply. I don't know what religious sect the missionaries belonged to, but my guess is that they were some type of charismatic.

In my opinion, all evangelical religions are alike in that they are all trying to sell you something. If you tell them you don't want it, they will do whatever they have to do to make you think you can't live without it. It's just one big scam.

Iz

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There has been a gradual change over the years -- the society argue we get so many not at homes tha twe should do more witnessing in parking lots and streets and Shopping Malls -- becasue there are never any Not at Homes there - -and also there ahs been a trend to witnessing when you find people which is not usually the traditional witness times -- people go out to work etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit