Bad Nitrous Trip

by carefully faded 5 Replies latest jw friends

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

I just had the strangest experience at the dentist. I went to have a cavity filled and the dentist gave me nitrous - as usual. I have taken nitrous at the dentist many times with really good results. In fact, nitrous has turned me from being extremely afraid of going to the dentist, to a person who looks forward to fillings because I get to have a little nitrous - and enjoy a legal high.

But this time, the effects hit me almost immediately (within two breaths) and I was tripping hard! I remember noticing the tiles on the ceiling looked like the ones at my orthodontist's office (from when I was about 13). Then my life experiences literally flashed before me in what seemed like 10 seconds and then it was as though I came from the sky and landed in my orthodontist's chair. The weird part was that I had this ephiphany that was so real . . . .It was as though the effects of the drug wore off, I was thinking clearly again, and that I "realized" I was still a 13 year old, and that I had only imagined all my life experiences (from 13 until present) while on nitrous sitting in my orthodontist's chair. It's hard to explain . . .

Then I hear my dentist repeating my name over and over again, but I couldn't come out of it. He was calling my name for quite a while, but I could barely move and I couldn't respond. I felt extremely nausous and finally signaled that I wanted the nitrous turned off. Then he was calling my name again. 'The weird part was he had only just started the filling. I told him I didn't want anymore nitrous - and went through the filling process half in and out of consciousness.

When he was done, I was a little more coherent and asked him what happened. He said my eyes had glossed over and that he thinks I fainted. We talked about how I never had this reaction to nitrous before, and he told me that he gave me the same amount as usual. In fact, he said he had taken it down to the lowest setting and I was still too out of it. He explained that nitrous reacts differently on different people and differently each time you take it. If you're under a lot of stress, or your metabolism is high, you could be more sensitive to it.

Anyway, I've been home now for about an hour and I'm still pretty queasy.

Has anyone else had weird experiences on nitrous? I'm afraid to use it again!

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Yes, I've had the same the experience. I never had a problem with nitrous, untill I got my wisdom teeth pulled. I started convulsing, and I seriously thought I was dead. It was the scariest thing that ever happend to me. I've never used nitrous since then.

• JessieeMay
    JessieeMay

OMG I hope you are feeling better soon. I was just at the Dentist three days ago and had all four of my Wisdom teeth out. The Nitrous Oxide was really good,it felt like I was stoned the dentist had to keep turning up the gas because I have a high tolerance for it. However the last couple of days have been horrible. My face is 4times bigger than normal. I keep taking tylenol3 and other antiiotibiotics. I have never been in so much pain.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Wow, hang in there Jessie. Make sure you are cleaning out the pockets carefully. I didn't do a great job of cleaning while they were healing (since it hurts), and I got a nasty infection - for which the dentist prescribed penacilin (spelling?) . .. to which i found out I am extremely allergic to . . . so I was "getting sick" while I could barely open my mouth . . . ripped the stiches, etc. All could have been avoided if I just used the syringe properly and cleaned out the pockets. So, please learn from my mistake - you'll be feeling better soon.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Liquidsky, I'm so sorry you had a similar experience! It's so scary - and so weird that we both had never had a problem before. I probably will use it again, but I'm going to be really careful and pay attention to how stoned I become. My first clue should have been that I was feeling it pretty strongly on the first inhalation.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• NukePoet
    NukePoet
    In the State of California, the possession with INTENT to use nitrous oxide is a misdemeanor, this is probally true of most states.
    A Nitrous Experience. After several deep breaths of air, I inhale nearly a lungful of nitrous and pull some air down on top and then hold my breath. Within seconds, a light tingling can be felt which seems to increase in frequency. The sensation is much as if waves were traveling up your body or as if you were twisting or spinning. Disorientation increases rapidly and the pulsing sounds/feelings increase, wrapping over one another. It is now, with eyes shut, that I enter a dreamlike state, where I am thinking out something and the external world has essentially ceased to exist. The urge to breathe takes over at some point and partial or whole breaths taken. Open eyes reveal some sort of tunnel vision, with regions of disorientation about the outside. Slowly the throbbing subsides. At other times I experience a sense of paranoia mixed with disorientation. I have a deep conviction while under the influence that all things are cycling together, that there is some deeper cyclical event occuring. It is as an experience of deja vu continually occuring. The feeling is profound.
    Auto Grade Nitrous
    Nitrous is used to speed engines for auto racing. High performance racing shops sell the tanks and feeder units to inject nitrous into the carberators. They also sell bulk nitrous gas. But there is a catch: the gas is mixed, generally (always?) with hydrogen sulfide (the rotting egg gas) which will make anyone breathing it VERY ill. (There is evidence that hydrogen sulfide can cause permanent damage to lung tissues and nerve endings.)
    So before you can use racing grade nitrous, you need to filter out the hydrogen sulfide. This is done by bubbling the gas through a strong basic solution. The most common solution is baking soda, though one person I talked with used lye.

Some folks will go through a whole lot of trobble to jack themselves up. Scary really, Beer is cheap enough right?

R.I.P. (( NwS))

Np

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit