Explain Puns (to victims of puns)

by TerryWalstrom 1 Replies latest jw friends

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

EXPLAINING PUNS to VICTIMS of puns
    Scientists actually study how puns are created.

“Creative language — and humor in particular — is one of the hardest areas for computational intelligence to grasp,” say scientists who analyzed more than 10,000 puns and called it torture.
    ____
    My dad died when we couldn't remember his blood type. As he died, he kept insisting for us to "be positive," but it's hard without him.
    ____

I've studied what the brain scientists and A.I. researchers have um uh researched. I think this is much simpler than they're making it. Intrigued? Let's look deeper.

Understanding puns (let's call it "punderstanding") is related to ART and MUSIC and WRITING.

When you create art or music or writing BOTH hemispheres of the brain switch back and forth constantly between "subjective" (how I feel) and "Objective" (rational think).

_____
    I was addicted to the hokey pokey... but thankfully, I turned myself around.
    ____

Performer/Critic of performance.

The Painter must think technically AT THE SAME TIME as the Painter must feel emotionally about beauty. (See it as a job and then see it as a work of art. Again and again.)

The Jazz improviser listens to what he's playing
    (and adjusts on-the-fly) instantly creating and criticizing the notes.

"Murder your darlings" is the writer's enforced rationale. Get rid of what doesn't work even if it's your best writing.

See the trend?
    When I make a pun I HEAR the "right" context and SIMULTANEOUSLY recognize alternate "wrong" contexts ripe for puns.
    Punning is deliberate wrong context usage.
    ____
    "Doctor, there's a patient on line 1 that says he's invisible"
    "Well, tell him I can't see him right now."
    ____

Is punning evidence of intellectual power?
    Shakespeare is notorious for his puns.
    Because of Shakespeare's frequent punning we call it "A play on words."
    He used words like a Swiss Army knife.

When Mercutio, stabbed by Tybalt when Romeo gets in the way of their play fighting, is dying, no-one believes that he is badly hurt because he continues with his joking while he is bleeding to death. Just before he dies he makes a final joke, about his death, retaining his sense of humor even in his last moment. It is both amusing and serious. He tells his companions that he may be a joker but ‘ask for me tomorrow and you shall find me a grave man.’
    _____

Wandering in a graveyard, Hamlet asks a gravedigger whose grave it is he’s digging. The gravedigger who is standing in the grave, says: ‘Mine, Sir.’ Hamlet picks up the banter and laughingly accusing the man of lying, says, ‘I think it be thine indeed, for thou liest in it.’
    ______

There is a scientific medical term for habitual pun making.
    WITZELSUCHT.
    Q: What did the proctologist say to his therapist?

A: All day long I am dealing with assholes.
    ____
    Witzelsucht, literally translates from German to “joke addiction.”
    Is it a neurological disorder?
    ONLY TO CRITICS of puns.
    _____

A person who puns is thinking on 2 levels.
    Seeing possibilities (out-of-context) for humor because certain words have more than one meaning.
    My battery had an alkaline problem, so it went to AA meetings

EXPECTATION followed by INCONGRUITY= laughter.
    (or not.)

"To understand puns, the left and right brain hemispheres have to work together"
    _____

My battery had an alkaline problem, so it went to AA meetings
    ____
    Herb gardeners who work extra get thyme and a half
    ____
    Last night, I kept dreaming that I had written Lord of the Rings. The wife said I'd been Tolkien in my sleep
    ____
    What do you get after playing the lute for 10 hours straight?
    Minstrel cramps.
    ____
    Note: Feminine hygiene jokes are the lowest form of humor. Period.
    _____
  • days of future passed
    days of future passed

Yes you have to work hard in the split seconds after recognizing that it is possible to pull off a pun. Although most consider it a punishment to hear them. I think they are just jealous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit