Islam is a religion of peace (2)

by Coded Logic 80 Replies latest social current

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

coded logic, In Islamic majority states they also collate newspaper headlines that paint the west and christian countries in an extremely bad light. These are mostly to do with Palestine - this is the single most deadly thing that has united Jihadis, scholars acknowledge.

The humiliation and shame at not being able to do anything for those whom they term their brothers and sisters in Palestine troubles most Muslims and to deal with this most call on peaceful protest, and peaceful ways of calling on Allah to frame the injustices committed by what they see as Christian countries appearing to gang up on them from their point of view.

Scholars also, after in depth research, do not think Islam is responsible for any more violence than other religions/cultures/ states. Indeed murder rates are lower in muslim majority states they find (Steven Fish, 2011, in his book Are Muslims Distinctive for example. courtesy of oxford scholar online via the open University, chapter 4).

Terrorism, However, is a real problem he argues, but this is carried out most often within Muslim states. Other scholars argue that this is often because of the conjunction between authoritarian regimes and oil wealth and the regimes using human rights as an excuse to legitimate action against their people.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@Ruby

Attacking Muslims simply for being Muslims is illegal, wrong and disgusting.

But it has nothing to do with this thread (Islam - peaceful or violent or something in between?).

P.S. - I hope that that disgusting criminal gets life w/o parole. Even then he's getting off lightly for what he did. I hope any neo-Nazi networks that helped that piece of filth are discovered and smashed by law enforcement. I hope for more arrests in the coming days, months, if there is such a network.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks for your reply loveunihateexams - my question is to do with asking who are we to compare Muslims to in order to reach a conclusion?

Anyway Just reading more from M. Steven Fish's book Are Muslims Distinctive, a look at the evidence 2011,(and this is particularly with regard to violence) I find that he summarizes that wherever there are Muslim majorities the homicide rates go down. In the West too, homicide rates are lower in Muslim communities.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

my question is to do with asking who are we to compare Muslims to?

Indeed. Fanatical Islamic fundamentalists are multifarious and illicitly rule over millions of people.

ISIS in Libya, Yemen, Sinai, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Nigeria; Al Qaeda in Yemen, parts of the the Magreb, Syria and Somalia; the Taliban in parts of Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Every member of those groups claims to be Muslim. They pray to Allah at Mosques and study The Qur'an and The Hadith. They follow the example of The Prophet (As-Sunnah) to the best of their understanding. They fast during Ramadan.

Western Muslims may say that they aren't true Muslims, or similar, but that's not good enough. That's a variation on the 'No True Scotsman Fallacy' as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be happy when Western Muslims denounce Islamists as apostates worthy of punishment.

There's even a word given them ('Islamist') as an attempt to distinguish them and their beliefs from 'normal' Muslims and 'normal' Islam.

When Christian fundies commit terror, why don't we hear the the word 'Christianist' from our liberal intelligentsia?

Why isn't the word 'Christianist' in common circulation?

It seems there's no current movement to compare Islamic terrorism to.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

he summarizes that wherever there are Muslim majorities the homicide rates go down - really?!

Does Steven Fish consider state-sanctioned killing of gay people in Muslim countries as homicide or justice?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

here is info re M Steven Fish

http://polisci.berkeley.edu/people/person/m-steven-fish

Fish uses his own research and research from other scholars. His conclusions are truly startling for me. when I started researching for this thread I did not anticipate that I would find that the reason why intentional homicide is lower among Muslims is because wherever they set up community life be in state formation or within other states they always work towards lessening economic inequality/class inequality (although gender inequality may continue). economic inequality is also the reason why murder rates are higher in the West and the rest of the world.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

luunithateexams

he summarizes that wherever there are Muslim majorities the homicide rates go down - really?!

Does Steven Fish consider state-sanctioned killing of gay people in Muslim countries as homicide or justice?

you are relying on newspaper headlines. the reality is that there are places were gays meet and enjoy each other's company in Muslim countries - even in Arab states. Parks and city centres that most people know one can go to to meet gays, similar to here in Britain. Not as many places or as openly as here but there are such places nontheless

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Palestine - this is the single most deadly thing that has united Jihadis - a dubious claim.

When ISIS fighters overran a Hamas-run refugee camp in Damascus, they started beheading Hamas people in the camp who resisted them.

When will people learn that the only cause of jihadist groups is to further their own interpretation of Islam? They spend much time openly declaring this.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

isis fighters are criminals

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

even in Arab states. Parks and city centres that most people know one can go to to meet gays, similar to here in Britain - don't you dare try to find equivalence between Britain's treatment of gay people and Arab states' treatment of gay people. In Britain we have gay marriage, we have openly gay MPs, we have hate crime legislation and anti-bullying measures to stop and contain homophobes, we have Gay Pride events.

The Arab World has none of the above ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit