Islam is a religion of peace (2)

by Coded Logic 80 Replies latest social current

• Island Man
    Island Man

Of course Islam is religion of peace. Inshah Allah, the road to peace is a peacefully flowing river of the blood of all the infidels. Allah Akbar!

• Island Man
    Island Man

"Religion is a snare and a racket."

That one slogan is Watchtower's greatest and only meaningful contribution to humankind.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Just had an exasperating, cognitive dissonance-filled discussion.

I was told:

The bible does not say homosexuals should be killed.

Leviticus 20:13; Genesis 19

The only reason hate crimes are done is because the person is filled with hate, not because the hate is fueled by religion. Religions do not teach us to hate or kill homosexuals.

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/homosexuality.htm

I totally object to whitewashing religions. Society doesn't benefit from pretending religion is something it's not.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

loveunihateexams

Islamopobia and intersectionality are pivotal to understanding this subject and this guy has written extensively about this - Momin Rahman

http://www.e-ir.info/2015/04/02/the-politics-of-lgbt-muslim-identities/

and this short video is also worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZO6AwF7XUw

• cofty
    cofty

Ruby - Pretending that Islam promotes tolerance for gay people is lying to yourself.

How Intersectionality Makes you Stupid...

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty -thanks for that - illustrates exactly what Momin Rahman says

I argue, however, that there needs to be a more explicit acknowledgement that Muslim homophobia is also part of this orientalism, characterizing LGBT politics, Muslim homophobia and western modernity as triangulated process of homocolonialism that uses queer politics to validate the exceptionalism of western modernity as a social formation (Rahman, 2014). Both Muslim postcolonial or religious resistance, and western universalist queer politics compound this assumption that there is only one possible form of sexual diversity which has already been achieved in the west.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I can't help but feel sorry for Momin Rahman and his undisciplined thinking. The idea that people are centralizing their identity around the teachings of a seventh century war lord is not something to be proud of or take comfort in.

There are plenty of things worth believing in. And there are nearly an infinite number of worthwhile pursuits. But the supernatural and the occult are not among them.

To think that people need religion to have a cultural or social identity is not only wrong - it's dangerous. Meaning is not something that can be handed out to the masses or pushed upon us from the pulpit. The spiritual part of our human existence is our private journey as we figure out who we are and what sort of person we want to be. The examined life.

Far too many people forsake the precious gems of intellectual honesty because they're distracted by the fools gold of simplicity and the false promise of certainty.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

coded logic - I respect your opinion - but Momin Rahman is muslim by ethnicity and not by religion. He says in the video that he is completely irreligious. His motive is to show how difficult it is for a muslim gay person in the West cos of Islamiphobia from the gay community and homophobia from the muslim community. edit: we need to recognise that we all have prejudices and this has been a painful process for me but it is part of recognising how complicated life is

here is something more for luvunihateexams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_in_the_Middle_East

Georg Klauda wrote that "Countless writers and artists such as André Gide, Oscar Wilde, Edward M. Forster, and Jean Genet made pilgrimages in the 19th and 20th centuries from homophobic Europe to Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, and various other Arab countries, where homosexual sex was not only met without any discrimination or subcultural ghettoization whatsoever, but rather, additionally as a result of rigid segregation of the sexes, seemed to be available on every corner
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

"Muslim" is not an ethnicity.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

exactly - it is not a recognised ethnicity because it straddle so many ethnicities and yet there is something recognisable about muslims - they share a set of family resemblances

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit