Bible study my as& - It's a book study

by pleaseresearch 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

So when we used to roll up to someones house for the book study group, we would study a book. The JW's don't conduct bible studies, but book studies. Dipping in and out of the bible as they seem fit.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

The third time the Revelation book was studied I refused to go to the book study which set up a string of requests to meet with me for a “shepherding call”. I received the typical “repetition for emphasis” and “Nu-Lite” rhetoric. I wasn’t having it. My argument was simply, “it is a complete waste of time”.

Like my entire journey as a JW.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Our WT study conductor always got up on the platform and welcomed everyone to the 'Bible study by means of the Watchtower.'

If the public talk chairman handed over by saying 'we invite Bro. Dick to take us into the Watchtower study.' He immediately started off by saying that 'this isn't a study of the Watchtower magazine but our Bible study by means of the Watchtower....'

I remember he got hot under the collar with me because all I did was ask him why the organisation book referred to his position in the congregation as the 'Watchtower Study overseer' and the handbills we used to distribute listed the meeting as the 'Watchtower study'?

I got told off for being picky, and my hand became invisible if I even put it up.

• Addison0998
    Addison0998

When I was at the beginning process of waking up, I noticed at a meeting one night during one of those “motivational” videos about a “real life experience”, that the brother said before he became a witness he worked with one, and every day he would read and study the watchtower. And later when the guy starts studying, he said, I started studying the Bible, but he was just holding up a What does the Bible really teach? book. There was hardly a bible even seen in the video. And I realize how much of a commercial it is for the WT. A Jehovah’s Witness hardly even needs to read the Bible, studying watchtowers publications is far more important to them, since they are taught no one can truly understand the Bible without the F/S help. and it IS viewed practically the same as the Bible.

• blondie
    blondie

They call WTS publications "bible helps" or "bible aids" like the bible is incomplete. What helps or aids did the 1st century Christians or Jews (Talmud does not count).

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Isn’t it true at various times that the WT discouraged meeting together just to read the Bible? They asserted you had to use the “helpers” to understand correctly. If you only used the Bible you would be opened up to misunderstandings and apostasy?

It seems like I recall something in CoC about this.

• carla
    carla

I tried to point out this very fact when my jw was first getting involved with jw's, obviously fell on deaf ears. What Blondie says was exactly my jw's defense.

girlnextdoor, yes, they had some quote about not being able to understand the Bible without their help. I am too lazy to look it up at the moment but I think they said something to that effect more than once!

• steve2
    steve2

At least they got the name of the old Book Study right: It was a book study. And yes, they've got the name of the Watchtower Study right.

Interesting that none of the Kingdom Hall meetings are called Bible Studies.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Studying a non jw bible and without watchtower aids or meetings actually helped wake me up.

I realised as I read something that contradicted Watchtower doctrine I flipped the verse in my mind to the way I remembered it from the new world translation. Once I became aware I was doing it I concentrated on the verse and saw how different/corrupt the JW bible really is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit