Religious e-mail violates town rule

by Smyler 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Smyler
    Smyler
    Judy Strege wrote a "Dear Mayor" e-mail to Dunn from her town office... Dunn said Strege approached him in a parking lot on New Year's Day when he was talking to a television crew about the city smoking ordinance... she has been active in Jehovah's Witnesses for 40 years.

What an outstanding citizen, using city computers and while working for the city, trys ministers to the mayor! Maybe its a blessing from Jehovah so she will lose her job and be able to pioneer!

smyler

• JessieeMay
    JessieeMay

Wow! I did not know that e-mails to the mayor were made available to the public. He probably took the mags to get rid of her. She should not have been following up with an e-mail. What did she think that would accomplish? I hope she gets fined for it.

• nilfun
    nilfun

E-mail return visits.

Oh, the times, they are a-changin'.

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

The woman made a simple, well-intentioned mistake. Anyone (person or entity, such as town government or employer) who would not either forgive outright or minimally punish a first-time, once-only infraction of this nature would be pretty harsh and heartless, IMO.

Lose her job over it? I sure hope not too. But then I also hope she has made herself too valuable an employee to have reason for serious concern in that area. I have made far more serious well-intentioned errors without losing my job.

Cruithne

• Smyler
    Smyler

I don't wish that we loses her job either, but a lot of JWs need to learn that there is a time to minister, ie. Saturday mornings off the job, and there is a time not to minister, ie, on the job, getting paid.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Actually, in context, I don't think the purpose of the e-mail was to minister.

Dunn said Strege approached him in a parking lot on New Year's Day when he was talking to a television crew about the city smoking ordinance. In the e-mail, Strege, a Chandler resident, apologized for not recognizing him as the mayor and wrote, "I appreciate your taking time to listen to me and take the Awake and Watchtower magazines from me."

Iit sounds to me like what happened is this. Strege was doing parking-lot witnessing. She sees a guy in the parking lot, doesn't realize that it's the Mayor, and approaches him and gives him the magazines.

Sometime later, she realizes that the individual she talked to was the town mayor. Feeling rather embarrassed, she send him an e-mail to apologize for not recognizing him. She concludes the e-mail, perfectly naturally, by saying: "Please feel free to contact me if you would like questions answered about Jehovah's Witnesses, their ministry in the community or their beliefs." In other words: "I won't bother you again unless you ask for more information."

I really don't see anything to get up in arms about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit