The Story Of Moses (fact or myth)

by Big Jim 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

The Story Of Moses

Everyone, it seems knows the story of Moses, how he sent plagues down on the Egyptians and eventually led the Hebrew people to the promised land.

I question the authenticity of this story and find it rather interesting how the story has been further embellished in the recent blockbuster Disney movie, The Prince of Egypt.

According to some scholars, Moses is a suffix meaning "son of" and it is found in many Egyptian names, such as Tuthmosis (son of Thoth) and Ramesses (son of Ra.)

In the Bible, Moses' mother hid her baby son in a basket in the reeds along the river bank. This was allegedly done, to save him from the Pharaoh who according to the story had ordered all new born Israelite boys to be killed.

This Bible story is almost exactly the same as the Legend of Sargon which goes like this, "Sargon, the mighty king, king of Agade (Akkad), am I. My mother was a changeling, my father I knew not...My changeling mother conceived be, in secret she bore me. She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid. She cast me in the river which rose not over me...Akki, the drawer of water took me as his son and reared me."

The Bible version goes like this, "And when she could no longer hide him, she took for him an ark of bulrushes and daubed it with slime and with pitch and put the child therein; and she laid it in the flags (reeds) by the rivers brink."

I find it interesting that as in the case of Noah's Ark and The Epic of Gilgamesh, the story of Moses is so much like another much older story that arose from the part of the middle east that the Hebrew people had come.

The Bible does not delve into Moses' youth, but the historian Josephus tells of Moses taking over the Egyptian army at the brink of the Egyptians being defeated by an invading Ethiopian army. In Josephus' story, Moses saves the day and under his leadership the Ethiopian army is destroyed. Egyptian records tell no similar story, just as they tell no stories similar to the plagues of Moses, the exodus or any other Moses annals.

It is often argued that it would not be in the Egyptians interest to record any of this "history" and this is a good argument, so again it is left up to the seeker of the truth to make up his or her own mind until hopefully someday more archeological evidence is found.

Even now, the recently discovered tomb of the sons of the Pharaoh Ramses (speculated to be the Pharaoh that ruled during the time Moses is said to have lived) is being excavated in Egypt, which could possibly produce new information. The Bible tells us that the Pharaoh's first born son died in one of the plagues called down on Egypt by Moses (the taking of all Egyptian first born sons.) Maybe there is some evidence in the hieroglyphics in this tomb that could tell us how the Pharaoh's first son died, this might substantiate or dispute the Bible story.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Fact

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Big Jim,

Moses was a type of dark syrup found in Egypt about 5,000 years ago. Legend has built up around this popular bullreed extract.

Hope this helps.

• logical
    logical

In total 100% agreement with Fred

FACT

• jelly
    jelly

I believe that the story of Moses is a myth with some fact mixed in.
    I also believe however, that just because it's a myth it does not make the story worthless. The story of Moses has served to inspire people thoughout the ages and thats the value of the story.

Jelly

• Farkel
    Farkel

Duplicate post. Ignore.

• Farkel
    Farkel

The story of of a man named "Moses" is pretty much a myth. I should know. I'm an expert on the subject. Even modern-day ultra-orthodox Jewish scholars believe the 40 years in the wilderness story is myth.

Through vigorous research I discovered that the man who the Bible calls "Moses," was really named "CharletonHeston," which in Hebrew means "Be prepared. Always pack a loaded sidearm."

His faithful sidekick who also became the first Judge of Israel was not named "Joshua," either. That was a corruption by scribes unfaithful to the original texts. The first Judge of Israel was really a man named "JohnDerek," who preferred tall, beautiful blond woman with high rib-cages and nice firm.....nevermind.

Finally, there is virtually no evidence that the Hebrews trekked for forty years in the wilderness: no bones, no shards of pottery, no petrified poop. There is nothing that amounts to evidence that such a large throng of people were ever encamped in the wilderness at all. Oh, there is some evidence that appears to be old movie sets dated circa 1956, but those artifacts are still under review and the carbon dating results on not yet conclusive.

Hope that helps.

Farkel

• Francois
    Francois

I think Moses was an actual historical figure, whose tales of daring-do were greatly exaggerated by the oral histories (Remember, there was apparently no written form of the Hebrew language until around the time of Solomon.)

Personally, I think that Moses was responsible for replacing the Hebrew practice of human sacrifice with the ceremonial system of animal sacrifice.

Stop and think about it. Why would a people unused to sacrificing anything all of a sudden accept the idea of sacrificing ANYthing? There is much in the bible regarding how Jehovah was so much better than those other gods just because he had never even dreamed of putting the children "through the fire." And there are many other type references. Don't really think the pharisees would include the fact of their practicing human sacrifice in their oral histories, do you?

New religions always are grafted onto the old. And christianity has preserved the idea that "without the shedding of blood, no forgiveness takes place." Now is that barbaric or not? Primitive or not? So why would it be a stretch at all to think that prior to Moses, the Hebrews engaged in human sacrifice? Thus Moses introduces an expanded concept of Jehovah, and while he's at it, gets rid of human sacrifice and substitutes the entire ceremonial system?

Give it a think!!

Francois

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit