This Was In MSN's "Dear Prudence" Column:

by worldlygirl 2 Replies latest jw friends

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Hi Prudie!Quick question: My husband has known a guy since he was 15 when they started to work together. This person became like a younger brother to my husband. Fast-forward: This young man has become a "born-again Jehovah's Witness," and every time he's around my husband, he aggressively lectures him on everything from going to church to quitting smoking. While his intentions are good, this "new person" is not the one my husband wants to remain close with. In fact, he's begun avoiding taking his calls and makes excuses when asked about visiting. Is there a polite way for my spouse to tell this guy that "the new you and the old me aren't compatible any more"?

?Jehovah Dodger

Dear Je,
    Quick answer: This is one of those instances where the truth works really well. Your husband should explain his new reticence to socialize by saying that, at his age, he already has a religion and is not interested in being lobbied, even for the Lord or the antitobacco interests.

?Prudie, plainly

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LOL, CG! Looks like Prudie knows her shtuff!

Frannie B

• Gopher
    Gopher
    every time he's around my husband, he aggressively lectures him on everything from going to church to quitting smoking.

Once at a circuit assembly, I heard the speaker (either a circuit or district overseer) say, half-jokingly, that they ought to put new JW's in a cage for about a year, because they tend to want to preach zealously at their family and everyone they know. And as all JW's know, overdoing it only turns people away.

Everything the Watchtower magazine and Kingdom Ministry say about the importance of zealous and urgent preaching -- some new JW's take these quite literally. But more experienced JW's know that you can get by with a lot less!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit