The large shield of blind[ing] faith

by waton 8 Replies latest watchtower bible

• waton
    waton

2 thoughts on yesterday's Jan 19. 2020 wt study. no 46 wt Nov 2019.

The shield of faith, that jws are told to hide behind is so large, page 19, that if held comfortably would require it to have rear view mirrors, (to see 1975). it is not made of transparent polycarbon, to see what is really going on. It well pictures the blind faith wt requires.

WT Faith is the assured expectation, and it is only the expectation, not the fulfillment that is assured, if you go by the wt record.

Good news: par 11 forbids jws to argue about lies of the wt organization.

so feel free to follow your urges to debate the uncomfortable truth, the record.

The shield is for protection, money is for protection, a wt specialty.

points to ponder.

PS: page 17, turn off tv if news about wt is shown. reminders of past attempts to fit blinders. It was a crime 1935-1945 to listen to BBC. Radios were build with restrictions. Think of the fate of the shielded.

• carla
    carla

"Good news: par 11 forbids jws to argue about lies of the wt organization."- can you elaborate a bit on that one? thanks

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

11. Have you resisted the urge to argue with apostates....?

Also mentioned distorted facts in 10.

• waton
    waton
    lies of the wt organization."- can you elaborate a bit on that one? thanks

caria, I care, my apologies to all concerned for my wording that imply lies of the wt organization (theocratic strategies notwithstanding). The paragraph covers only .lies by apostates . The fault lies with me. Therefore

Enjoy discussing only facts with apostates

• Listener
    Listener

I saw a Youtuber point out the same thing about the Watchtower's definition of faith the other day. It is an odd interpretation of faith, that doesn't make sense. Having an expectation in something doesn't demonstrate a conviction.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that 'faith' is the assured confidence in things hoped for or believed?

• gone for good
    gone for good

An "...expectation of things hoped for.." can hardly be "assured" given that everyone's knowledge, understanding, hopes and experiences (past and future) are unique to each person.

For legalistic reasons (example the baptism of minors) a "profession of faith" is demanded as actual faith is an unquantifiable enigma. Yet the mere profession of such can legally chain a person to a hateful cult for life.

• sir82
    sir82

The Watchtower does a lot of conflation.

They mention "apostates", but not everyone who opposes JW doctrine or policy is an ex-JW. They conflate "anyone who has a reasonable argument against JWism" with the boogeyman "apostate".

They mention "lies", but the vast, VAST majority of arguments made by purported "apostates" are true. They conflate "facts which cast us in a bad light" with "lies".

When they say "reject apostate lies", it sounds reasonable on the surface (everyone should always reject any lie, regardless of the source), but what they really mean, and the message that JWs receive, is "ignore any report from anyone who provides negative-sounding information about JWs, regardless of whether it is really true or not."

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I saw the picture on reddit they used. Most significant to me was that they used a woman in the illustration and not a man. How many times in the past did they use a man, most probably an Israelite, to wield that shield?

So they are recognizing that they better bolster up the "large" army of women cause the men are leaving. Wow really, I am pretty surprised with that.

• waton
    waton

The jw's shield of faith ( in bible absurdities ) like the global Noah flood, will be "oiled" this week by treating it as a family worship project,

building a little replica, moving clay giraffes, sorting unclean animals, wearing costumes. instead of doing the math:

Jesus as the ~ halfway mark between us and the flooded Everest. Sloth returning to South America in that time, koalas to Australia. Water rising ~10 000 meters in 40 rainy days ~ 240 meters day, ~ 10 meters an hour.

Handcrafted battleship sized wooden chest, dovetailed ? mortice and tenon? , not even tongue and groove, wooden pegs, dowels?, pitch for glue?.

how can that be true?

They did just so!, so long !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit