No knowledge of settlements, and no curiosity, either

by SoJo16 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• SoJo16
    SoJo16

i spent this last weekend with my mother, who is still in. The local newspaper ran a headline about child abuse by a priest, and she made a comment about the priests abusing kids again. Without missing a beat, I said 'haven't you all been settling a lot of child sex abuse claims yourselves?' She responded right back 'not that I'm aware of'. In the moment, I decided to leave it at that...maybe it will be enough of a tease that she'll Google it. I wanted to be super careful not to challenge her so much that she shut down.

it's amazing how much my feeling towards her have changed since this site and all of your comments helped me realize that I don't dislike her...I love her. It's her religion I can't stand.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Very loving and tactful!

Facts which are presented as questions will get some Witnesses to think.

Statements on the other hand, are what gets most Witnesses to clam up/argue black is white/hear apostate alarm bells.

Examples:

Do you think that the Org should be having to pay out mi££ion$ of donations as compensation to pedophile victims? (Google it!)

Why do you think that the Org is asking for U.K. Witnesses to finance a new Branch, when the London properties will sell for countless mi££ion$? (why not 'borrow' some of HQ's money?)

Can our own death really wipe our sins? (Org's teaching of Romans 6:7)

Witnesses brain cells have to be triggered into functioning independently of the Org.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    Excellent response SoJo16. It is amazing how blind they are. My parents just watched the new documentary on the Vatican (on Netflix). They cannot gush enough over the sins of the Catholic Church. It leaves me absolutely speechless. 
  • steve2
    steve2

Yes, gently expressed curiosity, allowing for your JW relatives to 'save face' and, if they choose, do their own research, is far, far better.

I have yet to meet anyone, anywhere who, when confronted with forests of facts, says, "You are absolutely right to correct me; I have naively been believing things that are not supported by the facts! Thank you so much"

Your respect for your JW mother shines through - and that counts for far more than the need to preach to her or paint her belief system into a corner!  

• freein2004
    freein2004
    Definitely good call to stay quiet after your question. Let her think awhile on your question. Hopefully she will. 
  • freein2004
    freein2004
    They really love to take digs at the Catholic Church. My family does the same thing. My brother does it all the time in his "wonderful" public talks. Total ass!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit