Any updates on Vaping?

by longgone 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• longgone
    longgone

I was wondering if the GB has forbidden vaping yet, so I did a search. There was a thread from a year ago, the comments covered all the bases I suspected the WT would come up with. 😑

I'm out, so it doesn't really matter to me. My youngest adult daughter and her friends all vape. It's something of a hobby for them, the events, the online groups, etc. If I take an interest in it, and (maybe) vape occasionally myself it could be a shared interest.

If the WT leaders have decided on making it a formal disfellowshipping position, then it's just another inconsistency in their self-serving rules. It's none of their business in the first place.

• blondie
    blondie

The thing to remember that it is not "smoking" that is at issue. It is using nicotine in any way. (or betel nuts or coca leaves). Please check the 1973 WT. Using nicotine and these other products are considered "spiritism" so that even if these products were safe in a health way, it would still be considered spiritism by the WTS and could be grounds for df'ing. There has been no change in this position since then although not much has been mentioned.

I understand there are nicotine-free vapes but then the WTS position would be that the user is giving the impression of using nicotine and could "stumble" someone.

• longgone
    longgone

Yes you're right, I didn't say nicotine free juice, and that's what I meant.

Sorry I was unclear. 😔 I know that they ban nicotine, but the other juice they could only say "worldly" or some extension of that, I guess.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What about medical Marijuana, vaped or otherwise?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The old codgers that run this show are reactive, not proactive. What vaping is may or may not have even reached them, via mailed in reports from COs across the land.

Its been like this forever. I was listening to rap music as a teen in the late 80s forever, stuff like NWA. I was shocked back then at how long it took for them to put out some sort of article against that stuff.

Old white guys living with Yes Men around them aren't up on things in the real world.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

weed has been brought before. If you have a medical marijuana card, prescription, whatever, it's ok. Apparently the demons check your wallet for it first. If you have it, they leave you alone. If don't, well buddy, you're in for a wild evening.

edit: I remember the anti-rap stuff starting in the late 80's. I wish I could remember the article, but there was an Awake that condemned rap because (and I think I have the quote) 'they lyrics are spoken, not sung.'

It's such an insane thing to harp on.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm out, so it doesn't really matter to me. My youngest adult daughter and her friends all vape. It's something of a hobby for them, the events, the online groups, etc. If I take an interest in it, and (maybe) vape occasionally myself it could be a shared interest.

Good luck. Please don't become one of those rude obnoxious idiots that think that because it's not nicotine it's ok to throw that stupid smoke on other people's faces. Some of us know what that is and still don't give a hoot about it.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They would treat it as nicotine use, even if the vape doesn't contain any. And yes, there are vapes that contain no nicotine--supposedly, those are for those who are either vaping for fun and not because they are trying to wean off tobacco, or those who are making their final step off cancer sticks. And no, they don't think of the safety aspect (vaping is safer than smoking, but not totally safe).

Other things they regard as bad include gambling (though I have heard sporadic reports where they are relaxing a bit on sporadic playing of scratch-off tickets, which is probably the worst form of gambling when it comes to addicting people). They also bad-mouth rap and heavy metal.

Then, it's up to the hounders in your area. Even without an explicit rule, there would be hounders that would treat vaping as smoking. It is the same with just about everything else--you have David Bowie's CD Diamond Dogs or Pinups, one congregation might say nothing but another might ban it. Someone might squeak about it, claiming to be stumbled, and there goes your records into the rubbish or MP3 files into the recycling bin. Or, playing a single scratch-off might result in no action in one congregation but another might form an instant judicial committee.

And they might threaten that, unless you stop, you will not qualify to go to Israel this spring on that stupid mission. For sure, they might disqualify you, at their discretion, from "privileges(??)" for any reason, rule or none. You could play this card in your favor--say, if they hound you to do Israel and you don't want to go, and you have one cut off Pinups and they squeak about it, tell them that if they keep hounding you to go, you are going to download the rest of that CD, and get Diamond Dogs as well. And, if that doesn't work, Led Zeppelin is next.

• Fencing
    Fencing
    weed has been brought before. If you have a medical marijuana card, prescription, whatever, it's ok. Apparently the demons check your wallet for it first. If you have it, they leave you alone. If don't, well buddy, you're in for a wild evening.
    edit: I remember the anti-rap stuff starting in the late 80's. I wish I could remember the article, but there was an Awake that condemned rap because (and I think I have the quote) 'they lyrics are spoken, not sung.'
    It's such an insane thing to harp on.

I remember that article. I think it was the same one that called out 2 Live Crew without actually naming them by name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit