Timely Internet Anonymity Article

by You Know 4 Replies latest jw friends

• You Know
  • TR
    TR

Leave it to the ACLU to defend the diKweed Klass.

TR

"Kults Suck"

• Gopher
    Gopher

The key quote from the above-mentioned article leaves room for pursuing those who think they can use the Internet to trash ANYONE in ANY WAY and be defended by the ACLU:

"We aren't arguing for absolute immunity," Beeson said, conceding that targets of real online defamation should have an avenue for pursuing their antagonists.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "defamation" as "calumny". What is calumny?

It is a noun, with 2 definitions:
    1 : a misrepresentation intended to blacken another's reputation
    2 : the act of uttering false charges or misrepresentations maliciously calculated to damage another's reputation

Anyone who uses this forum in a calculated way, to damage a reputation is guilty of "real online defamation".

If the purpose of your posting was to defend your right to defame someone else (e.g., Tallyman), forget it. You just brought the issue back to the top when you should apologize or at least let it drop.

Gopher, enjoying the fresh air

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

The ACLU's actions have nothing to do with your situation. I don't read the board every day, but from what I can recall, Farkel is in no need of tracking you down via your ISP, or ferreting out your identity by means of some database somewhere. We already know who you are, where you live, and so forth -- thanks to and with help from no one but yourself.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Which is more important, god's laws or man's?

God's law is pretty clear that slanderers and/or revilers will not inherit God's kingdom. There is no anonymity from Jehovah.

I am fascinated by this. It proves that as low as you think a person can go, they can also go lower.

peace to all, even You Know. I think he needs it more than anyone here.

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit