Story for Local Newspaper

by Larry 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Larry
    Larry

A local Staen Island Newspaper asked me to write about my experience in the Borg. Here it is - What are your comments? Thanks :)
    ----------------------

My Life In The Jehovah's Witness Organization
    By Larry

The Genesis
    Since the age of five I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (JW). I can vaguely recall celebrating a birthday and a Christmas before my mother accepted the teachings of this religion. My mother came into the organization as a result of the proverbial ‘JW sticking their foot in the door.' The JW women that taught my mother was very aggressive, as were many JW at that time. Once she accepted the doctrines, all seven of us a children naturally followed, at least as children. My father never accepted it, but he didn't oppose my mother from being a member. His biggest hang up with the religion was the fact that the ‘Governing Body' (men who run the organization) were all ‘white.' Since the religion doesn't promote African American consciousness, we all thought our father was ‘crazy,' and we would constantly be embarrassed over his Pro-Black views and lifestyle. As I reflect on those times, any thing Afro-centric was discouraged. When I went into homes of fellow JW's I never saw African American artwork, books, sculptures, artifacts, etc. However, the liberal arts of other cultures, as long as they were not idols, were proudly exhibited in many homes. Since that was during the late sixties and early seventies, I guess it was a reflection of the lack of consciousness by some African Americans at the time.

I have fond memories of being raised a JW. I can recall looking for my father in the neighborhood to adjust my tie before I went to the ‘Kingdom Hall' (place of worship), he would always be in the middle of gambling or drinking a beer with his friends. On a couple of occasions, when I wanted to see something on TV I would misplace my dress socks so I wouldn't have to go. The District Conventions at Yankee Stadium or other large facilities was a time to meet people from all over the world. We would spend all day at the convention, but as kids we would find distractions to help the many hours go by. We would constantly go to the bathroom just to walk around the stadium or coliseum. I can recall walking around endeavoring to be like the older guys by getting telephone numbers from many of the young girls. However, the best way to kill time was to volunteer in the food service or cleaning department (you could wear your sneakers for those jobs). At the end of each Convention, I could recall the adult JW's robotically saying, "These Conventions get better and better every year." Of course I wasn't at that level of appreciation, I was hoping they would get shorter and shorter each year. Seven through ten days & evenings in a row was a bit too much. In fact, if left up to me and many other JW youths we would definitely not want to: Attend the Conventions or Kingdom Hall; Knock on people's doors or stand on the street corners selling magazines; Tell our friends ‘We don't celebrate birthdays, or any other holidays'; Refuse to participate in school sports, plays, or bands; Remain silent or stay seated during the pledge of allegiance or saluting the flag. As children we had no choice in the matter and made the best of the situation - Trying to convince ourselves and other people that it didn't bother us - but in reality it did.

Why I Got Baptize
    Basically several factors were involved with me getting baptize - positive peer pressure, wanting acceptance, and sincerely believing I was doing the right thing based on what I was taught. For most of my adolescent life I didn't want to be with other JW youths because they would always appear too ‘preachy' and ‘up tight' at the Kingdom Hall and since I like to have fun they didn't really interest me. It wasn't until I finally listened to my mother and started hanging out with them that I was in for a rude awakening. Some of these JW youths were doing all the things my mother didn't want me doing - smoking, cursing, stealing, having sex, drinking alcohol, etc. I'm not saying I didn't do some of those things, but I wasn't the one at the Kingdom Hall pretending to be an ‘angel.' One thing I had a problem with was that I always felt that the congregation never ever respected our family, largely because my father was always hanging out in the street, we didn't have much money, and when I was 12 my father died while my mother was pregnant with her last child. Those situations fueled much discussion about my family. I guess I resented that because I can recall during the height of my JW career telling my mother something like "remember how those parents would look down on us? Well they can't do that anymore because we are all productive adults."

As I got into my late teens I developed friendships with other JW youths from other boroughs and states and did many things together - ski trips, bus trips, amusement parks, bowling, etc. It was during this time that I reasoned it wasn't all that bad being a JW - I could hang out, drink beer, and still be considered righteous as long as I did these thing with other JW's. So I started taking the religion very seriously, reading the Bible everyday, reading all the JW literature, reaching out for greater privileges in the congregation and so forth. I even started to seriously date a JW female. However, since the religion believes in dating with the intentions of getting married, I had to break off that relationship since I wasn't ready to get married at that time. As my progress began manifesting itself, I went the to Elders (Leaders in the congregation) and told them I wanted to dedicate myself to the organization. Afterwards, I went through the 100+ questions and got baptized in July ‘83 at an assembly hall in Harlem. I was on a so-called ‘spiritual high' at the time, reading everything authorized in ‘Watchtower land'- Always being ‘at the feet' of the older men in the congregation wanting to acquire additional knowledge. At this point I was officially recognized as ‘Brother Henderson' in oppose to Larry

Getting Married
    A few years later I met my current wife (of 15 years) at a JW social event in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Since we wanted to do the right thing by the Elders and the Organization, prior to our marriage, we decided to have a bible study with an Elder & his wife based on a JW marriage book. The book talked about the dangers of being of un-chaperoned, petting, and sex before marriage. It also spoke about sex after marriage, having respect for one another, and how to maintain a happy family life. In retrospect, after meeting the requirements of having a JW marriage in the Kingdom Hall I deeply regret complying with them, because it meant that my closest friends couldn't be in the wedding party. Although they were associated with the religion, through their parents, they were not in ‘good standing' with the congregation. Since I wanted the approval of the Organization I went along with ‘the program' and excluded them from the wedding party, but they were invited guess at the wedding & reception. (Speaking of marriage, just last year, during my youngest sister wedding, I was slighted in a similar manner. Because of the fact that I was no longer a JW, I was not wanted or invited at her wedding or reception.) So after a year of courting, Judine and I got married - I was 22 and she was 20. I left the Lower East Side of Manhattan and we moved to Coney Island, Brooklyn. Admittedly, that bond with her was one of the few positive things that resulted from me being a JW.
    My Progress In The Organization
    As I submerged myself in the dogma of the organization I was gaining greater responsibilities, not to mention my new founded family responsibilities with the addition of our two beautiful children.
    I volunteered for every available service, constantly talking about my faith in the public, spending hours preparing for any on stage speaking assignment. I even progressed to the point of traveling to other Kingdom Halls on speaking assignments. Being that I worked the midnight shift, I sacrificed many hours of sleep to help the congregation in any capacity possible. After years of this routine, I was being considered for the appointment of Elder. In all honestly, I really enjoyed that time. I wasn't really doing it to become an Elder, I just loved the learning, and it just seemed like the natural thing to do - Since going to college at that time was discouraged. I was so zealous, I couldn't understand why all the males in the organization wasn't doing the same thing. However, as much as I treasured those times, it wasn't as enjoyable for my wife. She was ill, with constant respiratory problems - we were in and out of the hospital. Despite her health situation much pressure was put on her to do more for the organization. Everyone, including myself wanted her to do more. I was so blinded by my progress I regrettably didn't realize I wasn't supporting my wife as much as I should have. Unfortunately, it wasn't until I left the organization that I realized how wrong I was. But, while I was in it was there was no stopping me. Just before I was about to be appointed Elder, I received a letter from a housing complex in Staten Island for a three bedroom apartment. I didn't really want to leave Coney Island, but I had to take my family in consideration, so around 1993, after some of the members in the congregation had three different going away gatherings (parties) for us, we moved. This meant that I had to start all over again on my organizational career in a new congregation.

Life On The Island
    Just as Staten Island is very different from the other boroughs in the city, the Staten Island congregation was very different than the other congregations in the city. It was a difficult adjustment for us in the Staten Island congregation. For one, the preaching work (knocking on doors, or strolling the streets and/or ferry terminal trying to convert people) was different - Instead of knocking on doors in apartment buildings we now had to knocked on the doors of houses, even mansions at times. I can vividly remember one wintry morning when my little daughter was attacked by German Shepard dog in a women's front lawn. Lucky, it occurred during the winter because she had a big coat to shield her from the bites. The whole episode reminded me of the attack dogs during the civil rights era. It took every bit of self control for me not to kill that dog. After we recovered, we cautiously went on to the next house. Dealing with the houses and dogs weren't easy, but dealing with a new congregation and it's Elders was the real challenge. The Elders were apprehensive at giving me assignments, they didn't really know me or my family and my achievements in the prior congregation didn't amount to much in their eyes. Understandably, they had a ‘wait & see' attitude. However, after a couple of years of perseverance I was recommended and appointed as an Elder. I could still remember the euphoric sensation the night I heard the announcement from the stage. Interestingly, it was during my Elder years that I started having serious doubts about this organization being ‘God's Chosen Representative on the Earth.' Being in this position afforded me many privileges, but it was mentally challenging. Not only did I help ‘shepherd the flock' by dealing with other peoples issues, such as: divorce, adultery, sexual abuse, teenage delinquency, fraud, suicide attempts, depression, jealousy, etc., I had to deal with the varied personalities of the established Elder-body. Speaking of which, recently I spoke to a JW (who is on the verge of vacating the organization) and he told me that many JW's felt the reason I bolted from the organization was due to the personalities of a few strong- minded Elders. In fact, one of those Elders asked me during a conference in which I resigned as an Elder, at the headquarters of JW's, if I ‘stepped aside' because of him. I told him "No" and that no matter how much I disagreed with him, I wasn't going to allow an individual to stop me from serving as an Elder. My resignation and departure from the organization was due to several factors, one of which was my disagreement with its teachings - more on that later.

END OF PART I

• Seeker
    Seeker

Hi Larry! Nice to see you here, buddy.

I enjoyed reading part I. I have a couple of questions:

1. What angle is the newspaper going to use for this story?
    2. What is your goal in writing it?

One possible correction, though I might be wrong: You say you got baptized in summer '83. That is right around the time the latest Organization book came out. Prior to this we had the old 80 questions, not 100+ questions, for baptism. Just making sure you were using the new book, not the old one, in 1983.

Seeker

• Uncanny
    Uncanny

Welcome to the Board, Larry,

So come on. Don't leave us lurching in the night. It's winter Down Under, nearly midnight, raining cats and dogs outside, I'm alone and about down to my last three or four shots of TEACHERS.

I gotta know WHY!!!!

Don't be shy - we've all got scroll down buttons on our keyboards.
    So let's get it on with Part 2 of this great story about how Brother Larry Henderson found enlightenment and freedom on Staten Island.

Uncanny

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Hello Larry, and Welcome.

Thanks for posting your experience(s) with the JW's. Am looking forward to your next installment...hope it will be soon.

Seeker, makes a good point - do make certain of all facts/dates - if you err, expect active JW's to 'pounce' on such in an effort to discredit your entire account!

• outnfree
    outnfree

Hi, Larry!

I'm enjoying your newspaper story, too! Please do send the next installment ASAP!

And welcome to the board. I'll be looking for more of what you have to say in the days to come.

outnfree (<-- grew up in Bergen County, NJ!)

• larc
    larc

Larry,

Luckily, I found your thread. Opps, I used a bad word. Let me start over. Fortunately, I found your thread. (means exactly the same thing, but does not have the bad word in it)

In Harrison's book about the Witnesses, she maintains that Rutherford was buried in the Woodrow Cemetary on Statan Island. At the time, they owned a radion station, WBBR, and a small farm that was nearby. From what I can determine, the Woodrow United Methodist Church owns the cemetary. I have e mailed them regarding cemetary records regarding Rutherford, but have not received a reply. Is it possible that you could check this out, if you are so inclined, of course.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Wow Larry.....looks like it will be a great article to read.
    It is so typical, too, how we mostly just went with the flow because its all that we know, and we've been conditioned that it's "the right thing to do."
    I cant wait for Part 2.

BTW...Outnfree, i currently live in NJ, altho i grew up in Queens, NY.
    My experiences took place in Somerset County, NJ

• Larry
    Larry

Seeker - Nice to hear from you - It's been a while. I see you make a name for yourself everywhere you go :) Thanks for the feed back. Your question reminds me of the same question my sister asked. So I'll post my replies to her. Thanks for the correction of the 100 + questions. Peace - Larry:
    -----------------
    Big Sis - I'm writing a three part series for the newspaper. Would you
    check this out for accuracy. I know you saw things differently
    from me, so I would like your input.
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 9:12 AM
    To: Larry
    Subject: My Life In The Jehovah's Witness Organization
    Hey Larry,

Wow, this is very deep. What made you want to share your experience with the world? I have mixed emotions about the necessity of writing an article airing out the laundry (dirty or otherwise) of the organization and our family experiences in the religion.

I beleive it is one thing to have your issues with the organization and the effect it had on our family and the people we have become, but to talk against the organization and the courses that have been taken to bring this dislike for the Jehovah's Witness organization to the forefront is a bit much.

I guess the bottom line to me is.... what would anyone gain from such
    information? People would form a negative opinion of JWs and Larry, that is not fair. Believe me, I understand what you are feeling, but I can't support your decision on printing this article. I have some stories...yes, however they are experiences that have made me the person I am today. I can't change the past, but I have a clearer understanding of the future. I can't waste energy on what I thought was wrong in the organization, or who did what to me or said certain things to me, or how people treated me or my family.....

Although we didn't have Christmas and Birthdays and other holidays, we also didn't have a mother who brought different kind of men in our home. Hell, she had seven children to raise alone and is very attractive, she could have had us living in pure hell. I have learned to value so many things because of her course in raising us. True, she wasn't perfect, but who is....parenting is no easy task especially alone. She didn't have the type of children that were drug dealers, prostitutes, and other negative influences of the Lower East Side.

We didn't have a lot of money, true, but she felt she was doing the best she could. She was home for us when we came home from school and practicing the teachings of the JW organization kept her grounded with life issues.

All families have encountered different experiences because of religion or the lack of. What we experienced ain't new, however we still have to go on with Life and find new positive experiences to embrace. There are so many things about the organization I tend to challenge, but regardless of my belief and feelings about those issues, I will never go publicly and ridicule their teachings and structure of the organization. They are not going to change, I have accepted that, so I make my own judgement calls. That may not be right, but it's how I feel.

Larry, I love you and I understand your stand about the JW organization, but I can't support your writing an article sharing negative or otherwise experiences against the practices of the religion.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Big Sister -

Your comments are GREATLY appreciated! You gave me a different prospective on things. However, from an objective viewpoint I think I need to write this article for the same reasons that I've written many other articles for the paper - It's informative. Most, if not all of the articles I've written for the paper is about information that very few people are aware of - I feel the same is true about the cult. It's an interesting subject and I'm sure many people
    would fine it interesting. When you think about it, all the books,
    articles, anything ever written about other people, any movie or TV special, that you have read or seen is about someone or something that others didn't want to be publish. i.e Look at the autobiography of Malcolm X - Was he airing dirty laundry or was he just telling his story? To the Muslims it's dirty laundry to others it was nformative. I'm sure the Muslim folks said "Malcolm your book would form a negative opinion of the Nation, and it's not fair." Well, I don't think it's fair not to write about it. Where would this world be without information about other people, cultures, or ideas. It my
    seem like dirty laundry to you b/c you are connected to it, but to others it may be useful. I just read a book called "Little X" about a girl who grew up in the Nation of Islam and how she left. Great book! The similarities with the JW's is uncanny!

It's that same 'cover up' mentality that started me on my new journey in life. I was so angry with the lies that everyone told me - Family, History, Religious, Race, Society, etc. I feel that's why everybody is so messed up, b/c they not only are living in deception, but they enjoy it!

In writing this article I'm taking the 'high road' - Of course I could get 'down and dirty' & really tell it like it is, but I'm just presenting the facts. When the article is finish (it's just in the draft stages) I hope folks will see that JW aren't really different from other religions, b/c I believe most religions are basically the same.

I'm not tearing down mom and dad for the way the raised me. Actually, it worked out well - I love the life I live now and of course that's due to my up bringing. I think the fact that we came out of poverty is a testimony to mom. Like Lil Bro always says "How many parents can wake up in the morning and know that all of her 7 children have decent jobs?" I have no problem talking about my past b/c that's just what it is - 'my past.' Somewhere is my story, I'm going to talk about missing dad - sure I talk about him and his faults, but again, our dad was just like everyone else's dad at that time.
    I could talk about him b/c I'm not ashamed of him - I was ashamed of him before -but now that I'm an adult I understand & appreciate him and I WISH I could tell him that NOW! You see, this is where I have the BIGGEST issue - It's only after Dad's death that I came to love him. We are ALIVE and this silliness of the cult not speaking to me or shunning me is counterproductive - it's wasting precious time, we are not getting any younger! They are erroneously thinking that their actions will shame me back in the org - NOT! It's only making me hate them more and more. It's this travesty that people need to know about - How could you remain silent on an issue as major as this?! It amounts to spiritual blackmail!

As much as I want family unity and love, it ain't going to happen - the nature of religion is division and I've accepted that. But just as you don't like the KKK or any other racist, you accept
    them and move on with your life - I don't like the cult's teaching b/c it's based on the the same mentality, so I have no choice but to move on. However, just as if you see the KKK at a rally in downtown ATL and think to your self of the many innocent lives they've killed and how they represent the height of ignorance, I feel the same when I see a cult member, it just reminds me of how they 'kill' families so to speak, and how ignorant they are.

The cult isn't going any where, I know that - as long as there are people with low self-esteem and at their lowest point in life - the cult will serve it's purpose.

Big Sis, I'm against the intolerance not only of religion but of people. That's what this article and all my articles are about.

Love
    Larry :)

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 11:26 AM
    To: Larry

I respect your decision to do this, however, do you not find it hard to be objective? Yes, it is going to be very informative, on one man's story of Life in the JW Org, but how can you stay objective on the issue if you've developed so much hate for them (religion)?

You made some very valid points on why you feel the article should be written, I never took it from that viewpoint.

I really hope you get what you hope to get out of this article. If your agenda is to be objective, factual and informative you should do very well, since there is an abundance of material on all 3 and you would surely capture the attention of many people from all walks of life....

Love ya,

Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 10:11 AM
    To: Big Sis

I'll be objective as possible. Well let me just say, I'll be more objective than the cult members could ever be with me.

Sis - When I was in the cult, I couldn't understand why folks who left couldn't just leave and SHUT UP!! Now, I completely understand them. Anytime a person is treated like shhit, it's hard to remain silent. It's like a person being WRONGFULLY convicted of a crime - being silent only condones the wrong. Mine you, there were MANY folks wrongfully disfellowshipped - It's only natural to speak up and out about it. I'm strong enough to go on with my life, b/c of the many things I'm involve with, but not everybody could make that adjustment, and I feel for them.

Peace,
    Larry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit