Franz and Penton

by dothemath 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

Would some of you still be in the organization if these two individual's reforms had been adopted?

Ironically..........I think the Society is gradually moving in the direction of some of their ideas........

0ne example..........I recall a TV interview in which James Penton (whom I met when he was still a Witness) made the argument that blood transfusions should be allowed in an emergency ........and used the example of David and his men eating the "show bread" while on the run from Saul........normally totally off-limits but okay in this case.

This thinking was of course condemned by the Society........but I wouldn't be surprised if that idea resurfaces some day because of all the back-tracking on this stand, as well as many blood components now being allowed.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Penton's argument is logical and would be adopted by any sensible person. Unfortunately, it will be a long time before they would be able to adopt such realistic viewpoints. The old ones are too entrenched. They need a generation of JWs to die of old age, first.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Their dilemma is how to disavow the ban on transfusions without triggering a ruinous maelstrom of backlash-- law suits, etc. It would seem that the most pragmatic -- and arguably even the most principled -- way out of the mess is simply for them to return to their earlier-- pre 1962 policy of considering the taking of a transfusion as a sign of immaturity, spirtual weakness, etc., one that disqualifies offender for any ``privileges" in the congregation, but does not mandate shunning.

After all, virtually no JW who succumbs to a transfusion does so as an act of defiance to congregational authority; either they simply can't conscientiously agree with the Society's position, or more likely, are acting to save their lives in the dread of death, often at the importuning and urging of their loved ones for whom they may be the breadwinner or parent.

So WTBS, rail against and deplore the taking of blood all you want and strip any offender of privileges -- just acknowledge that it's not an act of wickedness.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

Acts 15 puts abstaining from blood on par with fornication, and if the WTS did the same they would have a lot less problems with it...but they make it seem like fornication while wrong is forgivable as a weakness but taking blood is a capitol offense and blaspheme of the spirit [though they never outright say so]

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Yes I would......

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I probably would have left eventually... but it probably wouldn't have been as soon, or as drastically.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

What would distinguish Witnesses from any other fundamentalist sect if they adopted the reforms suggested by Franz & Penton?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit