Las Vegas

by dothemath 7 Replies latest jw friends

• dothemath
    dothemath

I heard some time ago that have never been any District Conventions in Las Vegas........anyone know for sure? There must at least be Circuit assemblies ..........

If this is true........where do all these ones have to go for a District Convention?........(LA is about 6 hours, last time I travelled it)

• aunthill
    aunthill

A district convention was held at the old Las Vegas Convention Center Rotunda about 1973, give or take a year or two. But since then, as far as I know, everyone has to go out of town. I submitted my DA in 1994, but up until then, Las Vegas was assigned to the Salt Lake/Provo area-which I always ignored (shame on me, I was so rebellious) and went to San Diego or Phoenix. LA is approx. 4 hours from LV, depending on your speed. San Diego is abou 6 hrs, but a much nicer, and slightly smaller venue.

Circuit Assemblies used to be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, in one of the meeting rooms, or I should say, they opened up several meeting rooms to accomodate the "friends," but, having been set free for so long, I don't know if that is still the case.

Aunthill

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

In the 90's my friends in Vegas had to drive all the way to Norco in Southern CA about 31/2 hours away for circuit assemblies, and Dodger Stadium and Long Beach Convention Center about 41/2 hours away.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I think I remember going to a Dist. Conv. or Circuit Assembly in Vegas in the early 70's. It was in a rodeo stadium if I remember right. I remember it being in the desert, maybe it was Reno, but I think it was Vegas.

Heatmiser

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

How are JWs doing in a known hedonist venue like Vegas? On a per capita basis, would there be more or less Dubs than the national average?

• Mum
    Mum

Stephanus, I live in a smaller city in Nevada. Gambling is legal statewide, except in one town. Prostitution is legal in some counties as well. I don't know if we have more JW's here than the national average, but we have plenty. The JW's here tend especially to target our significant population of Mexican immigrants, just as I have noticed that they tend to target African-Americans in other cities. Of course, I have no hard data to back up my allegations about targeting minorities, but we who have been JW's know that they do better in communities where people are dispossessed in some way.

I have been surprised more than a few times by a knock on the door that turned out to be a JW making his or her appointed rounds. For about two years, I lived in a building with interior doors to the apartments, and was never called on by the JW's there, except one time when I came home and found a tract in my door.

I don't know about Las Vegas. When I have been there, I have seen many Mormon churches, but haven't noticed many Kingdom Halls.

Regards,

Mum/SandraC

• aunthill
    aunthill

Mum, what "smaller city" do you live in? I grew up in Henderson and now live in Las Vegas. Imo only a local person would know that gambling is not allowed in only one town in Nevada (Boulder City.) If you are local, e-mail me at [email protected]. It would be nice to get together.

Aunthill

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

District conventions are held in Long Beach and the drive is 4 to 4-1/2 hours, depending on how low you fly. There is a convention in Las Vegas at the Convention Center in the Downtown area every year. The rumor is that they never fix the air-conditioning unit at this time because they know that we will be using the facility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit