HOCKEY! World Juniors, anyone watching?

by Eric 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Eric
    Eric

Love this tournament!

Frustrating calls/non-calls by euro-referees who would barely qualify for work in the OHL/QMJHL, and a tie-breaking format that has no place of a sheet of ice, but what great hockey.

The USA is smoking the Ruskies as I type this, but I'm watching Canada vs Czechs.

Is this being broadcast anywhere but Canada?

Eric

• morty
    morty

I'm with ya on this one Eric....

It is really annoyed the calls that they are/aren't making....Thier rules are so much diffrent then ours...

I am still trying to figure some of them out.....Anyways, yes, Hockey is the best sport,and Go Canada Go!!!!!!

this game today should really be kick a$$!!!!

Morty

P.s....bout time we had a topic on Hockey....It is usally always about football....

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, notch up another win - 5-2 over the Chechs. On to the semi-finals. So far no one is even putting up much of a fight.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Bring on the play-offs!!

• Special K
    Special K

Yes, I was watching the Canada vs Czech game at the gym this am

I never heard the gym so quiet while everybody worked out.. Too focused on the game..

Sidney Crosby doing very well... Youngest player to score in World Juniors.. 16 yrs old

Carter doing exceptionally well.

Usa..is smokin too..The annoucer said they are picking up a lot of their goals in the power plays..

Maybe that will be the key if Canada vs USA.. Don't get penalties agains US.

It will be interesting how things progress.... I'm anxiously awaiting...

sincerely

Special K

• dottie
    dottie

I've been trying to catch what I can down here on "NHL Centre Ice", but so far I've just caught the end of the Canada-Czech game this morning (I have to try not to sleep in )

GO TEAM CANADA!!!!!!

• Seven
    Seven
    ...anyone watching?

Of course!!! My guy is playing!! He may be back at Cape Breton but he's the Pen's future

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/images/200312/673.t.jpg

U.S., Canada advance to semifinals at World Juniors

From staff and wire reports

HELSINKI, Finland ? Zach Parise had two goals and assisted on a third as the U.S. junior hockey team defeated Russia 4-1 Wednesday, advancing to the semifinals of the World Junior Championships.

Canada downed the Czech Republic 5-2 to also reach the semifinals.

Parise is the tournament's leading scorer with six goals and five assists for the undefeated United States, which won its fourth straight.

Patrick O'Sullivan and Steve Werner also scored for the Americans, who took a 3-0 lead in the first period on power-play goals. Parise added a short-handed goal in the second. Russia scored its lone goal, a power-play effort by Sergei Anshakov, midway through the third.

Al Montoya had 29 saves in the win as the U.S. outshot Russia 35-30. The game featured 18 power plays, nine for each team.

The United States (4-0-0) won the Group A section of the under-20 tournament. Canada (4-0-0) finished first in Group B. The top team in each group gets a bye to the semifinals; the next two teams in each group play in the quarterfinals.

Jeff Carter scored twice for Canada, including one on an end-to-end rush in the second period. Jeff Tambellini, Nigel Dawes and Dion Phaneuf also scored for the Canadians and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury stopped 27 of 29 shots for the win.

FLEURY LEADS TEAM CANADA TO 5-2 WIN
    by Brian Coe
    12/31/2003

Marc-Andre Fleury made 27 saves as Team Canada posted a 5-2 win Wednesday against the Czech Republic. The victory allowed Canada to finish the preliminary portion of the 2003 World Junior Hockey Championships with an unblemished 4-0-0 record in Group B. Fleury and his teammates will not play again until Jan. 3, when they will take on the winner of a game between the second place team in Group A (either Russia or Slovakia) and the third place team in Group B.

The other three Penguins? prospects playing in the game - Maxime Talbot and Stephen Dixon for Canada, Ondrej Nemec for the Czechs - were held scoreless on the day. The winners got goals from Jeff Carter (2), Jeff Tambellini, Nigel Dawes and Dion Phaneuf.

Fleury has allowed just four goals in three games for a goals against average of 1.33, and has a .941 save percentage (64 saves/68 shots).

FLEURY NAMED NHL ROOKIE OF THE MONTH
    11/04/2003

Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month Tuesday, after posting a 2-2-2 record, a 1.95 goals against average and a .943 save percentage (12 goals against/211 shots) in six games. He is the first Penguins rookie to receive the award since Jan Hrdina won it for his nine point (5+4) performance in January of 1999.

The number one overall pick in the June draft, Fleury started the month - and his career - by turning aside 46 of 48 shots in a 3-0 opening night loss to the Los Angeles Kings. He recorded his first NHL victory eight days later by stopping 31 shots in a 4-3 win against the Detroit Red Wings on Oct. 18, and posted his first NHL shutout with a 20 save performance Oct. 30 in Chicago.

Fleury is currently riding a three game unbeaten streak (2-0-1) and will make his fourth consecutive start when the Penguins face the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight at 7:30pm. He ranks 13th in the NHL with a 1.95 goals against average and first overall with a .942 save percentage. Here's a look at Fleury's game-by-game performance so far this season:

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well....as per usual, one of the best rivalries has been laid to rest for another year.

Congratulations to the United States of America World Junior Hockey Team: ya done good.

Yeah, I'm wearing a black arm band, but what the hell....what a game!

4-3 for the U.S.A. over Canada.

Congrats to my 'Merkin hockey fans.

OK....there's always the Leafs....(crosses my fingers and prays...even though I forget how).

Aztec: there ya go hon! but.....what's goin' on with yer Wings?

Go Leafs Go! (repeat all local Torontonians and those who love'm)

• Aztec
    Aztec
    but.....what's goin' on with yer Wings?

Whatever could you mean by that statement Ray? My Wings have the best record in the NHL (okay so they are tied with the Leafs) and they are in first place in the Western Conference. They just knocked the stuffing out of Nashville 6-0 Monday night and tonight they can steal the top spot from the Leafs if they beat the Bruins (If? What am I saying? ). See ya in the Springtime my Canuck friend.

~Aztec

• dottie
    dottie

GO LEAFS GO !!!!!!!!!

dottie...of the Transplanted Canucker class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit