Idiot work mates

by Descender 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Descender
    Descender

I don't really understand why some people can be such idiots. How can people dismiss every other person's religion or belief as illogical while holding strong to their own illogical beliefs.

I work with a few Bush worshiping ultra conservatives. My boss has actually said that he wishes that the United States would turn into a monarchy and Bush would be designated king of the USA. The guys I work with are always talking about how the US isn't doing enough in the way of war.

They're all in their 50's and they're college educated, but they think of the good old days as the days when England, France, and Spain traveled the world overthrowing peaceful countries and laying claim to new lands. They seriously think that the US should go to war and take over any country that disagrees with basically anything that the US says.

They hate foreigners, they hate gays and lesbians, and they don't like other races even if the other race is American. They were discussing recently how the US should take all people of Arabic descent and ship them back to the middle east. They worship money and are all for big business taking control of the world. They don't like the conservation of nature, they would rather see clear-cutting for the economy of course. They don't like the arts, if they had it their way they would completely cut arts and music from schools and replace those classes with economics and business classes.

To top it off, some of them are hardcore Baptists. They are always talking about the evil of drugs and alcohol and the rise of Babylon the Great in the Middle East and the anti-Christ and Israel being guided by the hand of God and how Bush is being guided by God because he's helping Israel.

The above are all conversation that they've recently had. There is no room for the voice of reason or disagreement. Their idiotic conversations are only for those that believe the exact same as them. It strikes me as odd that during these conversations they sometimes get mad and yell as if someone is disagreeing with them when all they are doing is yelling about why the US isn't sending all the Arabs back to the middle east and what they'd change if they were dictators of the US like Bush.

Just now as I was typing this, they were discussing how there is no such thing as alien life forms because humans were God's only inteligent creation. You wouldn't know it from spending a day here.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a bit about my work mates. I'd get a new job, because I have no love for this one, but I'm putting my wife through the masters program at the moment and I'm the only source of income. But I just can't forsee staying in this environment forever, I might catch the idiot bug and turn into one as well.

Anyone else have work mates that seem to have lost a few brain cells along the way?

• amac
    amac

That is so scary that people have the capacity to be that stupid and ignorant and dangerous to the well being of others! I feel sorry for you having to deal with that. Try just punching them in the nose whenever they talk stupid talk. And then tell them you are only doing your part to squash ignorance.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Gawd, Descender!!

My condolences.

Actually, your workmates sound a lot like my parents, who think about the exact opposite of what I think about most subjects. I think I'm adopted

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I think you summed that up pretty well.

They don't see that their political beliefs have become like a religion, or in their case, a religious assesory. "Have you found Jesus? Bush is leading us (U.S.?)blah blah."

Yeah, these people are stupid. I live in the Bible Belt of Washington state, lots of baptists and LDS and othr miscelanious Jesus freaks.

Peace

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Descender, I have a couple of work mates that I've had to fight long and hard to get any type of personal "space" or respect from. Some of these old schoolers are unbelievable. For instance, this morning, I came in to work and the receptionist ripped me a new asshole because I took Wednesday off. I stopped and looked at her as she ranted about me taking more time off than any other person here. After she stopped, I basically told her that it was NONE of HER BUSINESS if I took time off. She was NOT my boss. She could sit there and grouch all day about how she has to do this and do that before she can have time off, but, bottom line, that is between her and her boss. I'm not responsible for holding her hand..............she complained she was the only person here on the first floor.............WAH WAH WAH! This woman is 65 years old! I ended by telling her that I was totally offended by her attack. Can you imagine anyone you work with behaving like that? The problem with the people in this building is that they all have their noses stuck into everyone else's business. There's jealousy and back biting all the time. I'm appalled by it all, and basically stay clear and in my own little corner by myself. I wrote an email to my boss informing him of her behavior towards me..........it ought to be interesting to see what happens now.

Terri

• Robdar
    Robdar

Descender,

Tis the same the world over. Believe me, it's not much better on the liberal front. Some of the people in my office are so far left that they have gone right again.

Is there no peace to be had for a person with moderate political leanings?

HNY,

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It all sounds so very "human" to me.

People have been "putting the world to rights" over a drink, or in workplace conversations since there was ever a political scene to complain about.

I can quite understand why Freemasons reject Religious and Political conversation in their lodges. It's the cause of more disagreements and hurt feelings than any other subject (both take on the fervor of the other, IMHO).

Continuing to fight to relieve their ignorance (and our own), by decent and respectful debate, is appropriate. However, why denigrate your fellowman, by denying that they are merely engaging in a "normal" human activity?
    This site appears to be a perfect example of where that does and doesn't work.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Descender : I just wanted to vent a bit about my work mates. I'd get a new job, because I have no love for this one

well ... I understand !!! ... I wish you'll find a nice place

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit