Disneyland Not What It Used To Be?

by ThiChi 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Disneyland not what it used to be?

Like most, I love Disneyland (DL). Well, I went to DL x-mass day (The original, in California). In the back of my mind, I was thinking about the recent news that the last "Disney" on the Corporate Board resigned last week, with a scathing attack on how DL is operated today: Cheaply as possible, out for the quick buck, etc.,.

These remarks were in the back of my mind as I walked through the park. I started noticing things that I never noticed before: visible graffiti while standing in line for Star Tours, looking at the walls, poor patch work repainted with mis-matched paint. On it?s a Small World, some of the dolls looked dusty and out of alignment with what the doll was supposed to be doing (like playing an instrument)......In past visits, everything looked new and crisp.

Then on Pirates of the Carribean, just as you go down the waterfall under the Skull and Cross Bones, off to my right was a blackened door, and on the floor next to the door, was a backpack, a pair of tennis shoes and a Coke can! This really killed my experience.........

Then, a Coke costs $3.00!! Hats in the $20.00 to $25.00 dollar range..a tee shirt in the $25.00 to 45.00 range....all the while, I kept thinking of what the ex-Disney Board Member alleged...........I could go on and on, however, I think my point is made.

Don?t get me wrong, I did enjoy myself, and I don?t mind paying good money for a good product...however, it seems to me that DL is a little better now than a carnival.........

• Gopher
    Gopher

I've been to both Disneyland and Florida's Disney World. I started to notice in the late 80's the incessant price hikes. And they took away the three-day pass, now all you can get is a 4-day or a 5-day pass (or for an even higher per-day price, a one-day pass).

My conclusion is that the Disney parks have become mere playgrounds for the rich.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Maybe it's just because you arent a kid anymore. I remember when I was little, my parents saying we couldnt go because everything was waaaaaaaaay too expensive. That was over 20 years ago.

I live about 20 minutes from there and visit Downtown Disney quite often. It seems they are constantly adding to that area. It is very clean. I think they realy lost money with the California Adventure Land though. I still havent been there

• smurfy
    smurfy

I've never been to Disneyland, just Disneyworld. I don't know how different the two parks are. I thought Disneyworld was pretty nice and verrrry clean. But, it was also the middle of June and totally packed. When we went to Universal Islands of Adventure in November it was totally different but not as clean. Still nice though.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I haven't been in years but even then I do remember things seem a bit run down and there were an aweful lot of rides closed.

Don't even get me started on the cost of food and merchandise there. It took out a lot of the fun of going there when you can't even afford to bring home souvenirs, eh their loss we took lots of pictures and still have them!

Glad you managed to have fun regardless.

Kate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit