The "deeper things"...

by Lonestar13 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lonestar13
    Lonestar13

As much emphasis is placed on study and research has anyone noticed that you if you engage a dub in a conversation about the deeper things of the BIBLE (not the wt), that you will end up doing most of the talking? I made a personal decision to read more books, magazines etc, (of a secular, historical nature) becuase i do not wish to be that way. unfortunately i found that within the dubs i had no one to talk to. Most of the conversation during field service was either gossip related ('sister so and so's teenage daugher is pregnant...AGAIN') or related to some mindles television show or the sales at the local malls. I made it a personal point NOT to engage in gossip at anytime if i can help it, that is in all walks of life, and when i would change the subject, i would get blank looks. (what, a WOMAN that wants to talk politics instead of new shoes or bags? what is this world coming to) Has anyone else had this experience?

• dh
    dh

yeah, one of the main reasons i stopped with jw's was that i spent a lot of time studying and reading alone, history, other religious views, and i prefered to read the bible and not the other stuff they printed, i figured if it's the word of god and for everyone i should be able to understand it unaided, so that's what i did and naturally it was the end of my life with jeh.

in the field service, if i ever worked with an elder, servent or someone older than me, which i enjoyed because they were supposed to be knowledgable, they did actually have a good knowledge of the bible and could pull out a chapter and verse easily, i would talk about my views, and do the same with chapters and verses, break them down, they would talk, i would talk, nobody ever treated me like a kid, even though i was, the deeper it went the clearer it became, i had formed my own views already, and as i went deeper they would tell me that they and i needed to pray about it because 'i was questioning the truth' and that 'satan was after me' i was cool with this, when the time came to get baptized i was 17 and they told me that 'when you get baptized satan will try especially hard to get you' i was cool with that too, maybe he got me, but a year later i left.

i feel that because i talked about my views openly and in depth to the 'right people' (older more experienced elders or 2nd generation servants with their head's screwed on) who i knew wouldn't be quick to judge me, the rest never thought badly of me, never stopped talking to me, and i think it was no surprise that i left, almost like they had already discussed it among themselves and decided i was just 'a troubled individual who would come back to the truth'.

i never did

other than that, when i worked with other kids we just talked about whatever and did as little as possible, if i worked with a regular jw i'd do most of the doors and not say anything else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit