Is it true that JW Missionaries...

by dh 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dh
    dh

is it true that jw missionaries sign a legally binding contract with the wtbt society to say that they cannot work for pay, even casually, or own a business for the duration of their contact to the society.

i have a jw friend who's a missionary out in the middle of nowhere who told me so a while ago, wondered if anyone else knew anything?

• Celia
    Celia

Happy Birthday Dhamah

• missylissy
    missylissy

they arent allowed to work? how would ya make money then?

-missy

• dh
    dh

missionaries get paid an allowance from the society every month.

thanks celia, just got done with my first ever birthday party and cake, haha, 26 now!

• simplesally
    simplesally

"Need Greaters" are different than missionaries. My ex and his parents always say they were "missionaries" in Ecuador and Guatemala when in reality, they went to where the need was great. So, yes, they worked. What I am saying is that you may have heard of missionaries that worked and now you hear of missionaries that can't. The ones who worked weren't assigned nor sent by the Society as missionaries to the territory. Missionaries go thru Gilead and receive support from the Society and probably donations from 'the friends'....

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I'm sure the society wouldn't give anyone a thin dime if they weren't forced to, and could instead guilt them into moving there and supporting themselves. However, some countries will not allow people such as missionaries to come in and work unless they can prove they're getting an outside income. The government of an already poor country does not want westerners coming in to preach to them and taking up scarce jobs that could go to their own people.

• heathen
    heathen

They are called volunteers . I never heard of them being able to work overseas to supplement their income but think it would be a good idea if at all possible , not even the apostle paul wanted to be a burden to the congregations. If you want to lead by example I would think hard work would be one way to accomplish that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit