Reading Older Society Publications

by Blueblades 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I was once told by a sister who is a proof - reader at the world headquarters,that if you have the last ten years of Watchtowers that is all you need to be up to date on current society teachings.I mention this because many JW'S frown on the practice of reading older publications and are quick to point out this fact to anyone who attemts to confront them with a statement that the organization has made in the past.

If this should happen to you,as it did to me when I have mentioned what the society has said in print in the past,direct them to the Watchtower 6-15-85 p.12 ..."It means reading the footnotes in the WT.articles,some of which refer the reader to an older publication ( it does not qualify within 10 years )...It requires digging deeper,putting forth effort to locate that older publication and studying the pages to."

So,this proof-reader needs to pay more attention to what she herself is reading when giving advice to others as to how far back we can go to examine what the society has said in the past.

Blondie's post is an excellant example of how she herself supports everything she writes in her "Comments You Will Not Hear"on current WT.study articles,digging deeper and putting forth much effort to locate that older publication where-in out of the society's own mouth they are caught lying and being hypocritical in what they tell the rank and file.

Blueblades

• dh
    dh

totally, remember the days when they used to draw jesus without a beard!!!

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

How about this one from benefit from theocratic ministry school education (published 2002 and used in the TMS)

*** be Apply Yourself to Reading ***

[Box on page 21]
    WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR READING PROGRAM?

• Is the Bible at the top of your list?
    • Do you regularly read the Watchtower and Awake! magazines?
    • Do you read new Bible study literature soon after it is received?
    • When given your copy of Our Kingdom Ministry, do you read what has been provided there to help you in your ministry?
    • How many of the older publications of Jehovah?s Witnesses have you read?
  • gumby
    gumby
    JW'S frown on the practice of reading older publications

When these "older publications" were NEW publications.........they were spiritual truths coming from Jehovah to his people. Now.......they are not truths. Does Jehovah lie then? If a person were to follow the advise and believe what was written in older publications......they would be disfellowshipped for Apostacy. This should cause any of you LURKERS OUT THERE.....to consider the faith that you follow.

Gumby

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Happy Birthday Dhamah!

I remember being concelled on reading "Let Your Name Be Sanctified". That really struck me as kinda odd. If this book came from Jehovah, I should be able to read it!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Happy Birthday Dhamah!

I remember being concelled on reading "Let Your Name Be Sanctified". That really struck me as kinda odd. If this book came from Jehovah, I should be able to read it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit