Mitochondrial Evidence for Evolution

by Satanus 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find it fascinating that mitochondria probably was originally a bacteria that insinuated itself into a higher organism, forming a symbiotic relationship. The higher organism benefited from this, in that it recieved a huge enegy boost.

Mitochondrial dna is passed down only by mothers, as the egg destroys that dna in the sperm.

Here is a site that names some examples of endosymbiosis, as this process is called. http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosymbiont

I wonder if the incorporation of these engines were necesary for the existence of moving organisms? I hope to learn more about this on this thread.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

http://www.nimr.mrc.ac.uk/MillHillEssays/2001/endosymbionts.htm

In addition to mitochondria, green organisms all carry photosynthetic organelles known as chloroplasts (or plastids), so named because of the chlorophyll they contain. Like the mitochondria these also arose as a result of an ancient endosymbiotic event, but this time the ingested victim came from the ranks of organisms which used to be called "blue-green algae" but are actually bacteria and are now known as cyanobacteria.

Here is an example of parasitic bacteria being accomodated by amebas, the process being observed in the laboratory:

In some astonishing experiments , the American researcher K. W. Jeon and his colleagues in Buffalo, USA, witnessed an endosymbiotic integration actually occurring and maturing to full-scale interdependence of host and symbiont in the laboratory. For many years Jeon had been maintaining the giant amoeba A. Proteus with no problems. One year it was noticed that the organisms became sick, growing more slowly and dividing less often. Nevertheless they continued to grow and were carefully nurtured by Jeon?s team. Right from the start it was realised that the apparent cause of their sickness was the appearance in their cytoplasms of numerous bacteria. Clearly the amoebae had found the initial invasion disagreeable, but after a few months, their growth improved, albeit not quite to the same level as before. By this time the bacteria had become extremely numerous in the cytoplasm, to the extent of around 40,000 per amoeba. They still looked recognisably like bacteria. The astonishing thing was that now the amoebae were totally dependent on the little invaders; exposure to antibiotics of the kind that normally only affect bacteria resulted in the death of the amoebae themselves. Obviously something in the nature of the biochemical interactions between the host and the invaders had changed. The host amoebae were now completely dependent on the activities of the bacterial remnants but, at the same time, the bacteria had clearly lost their independence; they could easily be transfected into different amoebae, but could no longer grow in the outside world.

SS

• Enishi
    Enishi

I've read about that before. Fascinating isn't it? The really interesting aspect to theories about endosymbiosis, is that cooperation between species may play a greater role in evolution than was once thought.

• Satanus
    Satanus

http://www.hos.ufl.edu/ctdcweb/pcb6528II.htm

A type of bacteria called

Rikettsiae are considered to be the closest modern-day relatives to the mitochondria.

In other words, critters a lot like these got stuck inside host cells and prepelled evolution forward.

SS

• gumby
    gumby

SS,

About the time you and I die......there gonna have all this shit figured out.........just wait and see

Gumby

• Satanus
    Satanus

Enishi

Yes. Also parasites, may caused to evolve their hosts.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Gumball

Could be. I think the big drug companies are actually pulling them into the wrong directions, at least to a degree. Those companies always wanna kill germs, always new drugs to war against germs. Nature has enough war going on, but there are also huge compromises/cooperations going on. This subject shows that,imo. Drug and genetic researchers could learn from that.

When i'm approaching death's door, i doubt i'll give a flying fig about all this.

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

I ran across a bit of interesting theoretical info related to this subject:

Some scientists see viruses as blueprint packets ancient bacteria created to mail out in multiple copies -- highly efficient DNA distribution at a distance. Smaller packets of tradable DNA are called plasmids.

Lewis Thomas, former head of Yale Medical School, better known for his wonderful science essays, suggested that ancient bacteria may have invented us as big taxis to get around in safely (Lives of a Cell, Bantam, NY 1975). I think it more likely we are conference centers for their information exchange. After all, we continually breathe in and absorb bacteria, viruses, plasmids and other loose snippets of DNA, permitting them to throng about in our guts, cells and even in our chromosomes.

Scientists express surprise at how much "biological activity" goes on in our genomes, and at bacteria living in them. They now see that over forty times as much DNA as that in known genes is devoted to TEs -- transposable elements known since Barbara McClintock's pioneering work half a century ago, showing that TEs not only move about but do so in response to stress on the organism. Her results have been supported by many later researchers, including Eshel ben Jacob, who sees the genomes of bacterial colonies as group minds able to respond intelligently to stress on their colonies (Sahtouris, A Walk Through Time, Wiley, NY, 1998).

It seems reasonable to suppose that our genomic system, too, is behaving intelligently as a constant hive of activity now known to edit and repair itself. If it did not know what it was doing, I believe it would revert to chaos in very short order.

http://www.ratical.org/LifeWeb/Articles/listen2genome.html

SS

• Satanus
    Satanus

A theory based on the above is that evolution may have been driven by virii and bacteria. These organisms in the process of attacking higher life forms, are insinuated/accomodated into the body. The body actually adapts and becomes dependent on these.* Some of their genetic material gets into or becomes the mitochondria. From time to time dna from the mitachondria migrates to the nucleus and becomes a part of it. Voila, evolution.

*An example is some intestinal parasites which, if missing, the person's immune system becomes hyper, developing chron's disease or allergies. Not suggesting parasyes as a cure for the above, but experiments have shown it at times.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit