DUMBO property and the secret of the Margaret Hotel

by Dogpatch 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I just received this letter from a former Bethel worker who saw my post on the DUMBO property plans of the Watchtower. Don't tell me they aren't doing this DUMBO project just the same as the Margaret Hotel and who knows how many others?

LETTER DATED 12/18/03 from ANONYMOUS
    re: The Secrets behind the Margaret Hotel purchase by the Watchtower

Dear Randy:

It has been a couple of years since we exchanged correspondence and today, after reading your letter on the Watch Tower DUMBO area project, memories of my year at Bethel came back to haunt me.

It turns out that I was invited in the spring of 1986 to work at Brooklyn Bethel, specifically to help in the engineering department. I had already worked with some of these brothers for two weeks at the end of 1985 and Ray Rose, in particular, liked my work and arranged for the invitation. In those days the Watch Tower was using a real estate company called COHI Associates for the express purpose of buying properties in the Heights area. To my knowledge, they purchased the Standish and Bossert buildings this way. Officially, I came to Bethel as an employee of this company and was given an apartment in the Standish building.

I was brought in because the demands on the engineering group with the Patterson project going full steam, the refurbishing of the COHI properties was being neglected. These old buildings needed to be brought to Bethel standards for the eventual turn over.

A few of months after arriving in Brooklyn when the plans for the remodeling of the old Bossert Hotel were finished, I was invited to be a part of a secret project. This project had to do with designing a new residence building in the lot where there had existed the old Margaret Hotel on Columbia Heights. The building had been consumed in a fire and now the Society entered secret negotiations with the proprietor to buy the building.

As you know, the community has serious concerns about the ever-expanding Witness headquarters and was the subject of negative articles in the local press on numerous occasions.

Our job in engineering was to prepare design plans for a luxury apartment building that could be easily converted to Bethel rooms by simple modifications. During that period, the department was closed to the public and we would not be allowed to discuss the project with anybody, including our spouses. The plans were prepared under the name of a local engineer who was a witness. We, in engineering, came to cal the project ?Madame X.?

After a few months, the plans and permits were obtained and construction began. A ?worldly? construction firm laid the foundation and steel framework was being erected. On the property, a sign showing a rendering of the completed structure featured the telephone number of a real estate company in charge of sales. A person in the engineering department, as explained to me, answered the telephone.

One fine morning, after the steel frame was completed, it was announced to the Bethel family that the Society had ?just acquired? the building under construction. I felt bad, terribly bad because I knew better.

I left Bethel in the spring of 1987 at the end of the one year agreement because my wife?s poor heath. But my experience in Brooklyn was the catalyst for the crisis of conscience that peaked ten years later.

I join you and the community, even if just in prayer, in your efforts to stop the Watch Tower availing themselves of the ?world? to further their own interests at the expense of others.

May God bless you always.

In Christ
    Anonymous

Below are the ?sanitized? references by the WTBTS of the events described above.

*** w96 4/15 26-7 Expansion With Jehovah's Blessing *** The speaker also described how Jehovah?s Witnesses purchased the former site of the famous Margaret Hotel, just across the street from the original Bethel Home. The location is ideal, since it could easily be tied in with the Bethel complex by an under-the-street tunnel. In February 1980, when the building was in the course of being remodeled, it burned down. Then, because the owner had trouble putting up a new building on the site, he sold the property to Jehovah?s Witnesses.

*** yb88 25-4 1988 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses *** Additional property for housing the Brooklyn Bethel family was acquired in February 1987. The 11-story structure is located at 97 Columbia Heights and will have 127 rooms, with underground parking space for 30 cars. A hired contractor completed the shell of the building, and the Society?s personnel will finish the interior construction by approximately September 1988.

[Picture on page 24]

*** g89 4/22 23-4 More Living Space for a Growing Family *** 97 Columbia Heights One is this beautiful new 11-story building overlooking the East River, located on the site of the former Hotel Margaret. It has an unobstructed view of one of the most photographed sights of all time, the skyscrapers of Lower Manhattan and its famous financial district. More importantly, it is located next to 107 and 124 Columbia Heights, large residences that accommodate over a thousand members of the Bethel family.

Just a hundred years ago, the 150-foot-high [50 m] Hotel Margaret was completed at 97 Columbia Heights and became internationally known. In February 1980, while the Margaret was in the process of being converted into luxury apartments, it was devastated by fire and was afterward torn down. In 1986, after the developer finally received permission to go ahead with the new construction, he sold the property to the Watchtower Society, a legal agency of Jehovah?s Witnesses. As successive floors of the building were readied for occupancy during 1988, a total of 250 members of the Bethel family moved in.

A spokesman for the firm that designed the building said that an attempt was made ?to keep some memory of the Margaret alive.? The way the windows are done, for example, is reminiscent of the copper metalwork on the Margaret. The spokesman added: ?We tried to keep the building larger in scale toward the water and smaller in scale toward the community.? Thus, the building is stepped down to the level of buildings nearby.

posted at:

http://www.freeminds.org/history/margarethotel.htm

• franklin J
    franklin J

this is very interesting reading...however, I cannot imagine why the WTBTS would want to be so secretive. If the Building they are planning is within all zoning and building codes, "as of right". There is no danger from it not being accomplished. If it is "as of right" even the community opposition cannot stop it. Why the secrecy?

The only thing that comes to mind is for the purchase of any neighboring properties. Any seller would assume that if WT wants to purchase, they would jack up the price. However, if WT feigns " no interest" , the property owner would be forced to sell to any other interested party, and at a lesser price due to the overwelming influence of WT in the neighborhood. Wt sets up a dummy corporation to place a low bid. This is a common tactic in the NYC real estate market.

I am an architect who has worked with many heavy hitter New York City developers, and I can tell you that New York City and its zoing is literally for sale to those who have the money and connections to override any current zoning. A corporation with the economic clout of Watchtower could more or less "buy" whatever approvals they would need to acquire ( if the project is not "as of right" to the site) to do what every they had it in mind to do.

I do not understand the clandestine "espionage" angle...not telling your wife? What are they trying to hide, and what could they possibly be trying to prove by this action?

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks Franklin,

I think the letter I just received from the anonymous Bethelite gives it away, they want to build Luxury apartments that can be converted to Bethel rooms easily. Why? So the reverse can be accomplished after a couple of years and sell the buildings as luxury apartments!

I don't imagine what other reason they are doing this. Do you?

Two links that are important:

http://www.freeminds.org/DUMBOletter.htm

http://www.freeminds.org/history/margarethotel.htm

Randy

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Interesting....

I was at Bethel from 1987 to 1988 and I worked on the remodeling of the Bossert and Standish Hotels. I also worked on the exterior of factory bldg no. 5.

In any case, I remember when it was announced that the Society had acquired the Margaret Hotel Site. I also remember Mr. Coffee yelling at the people working over there. He would say to us "Well, here come the Union men!!!!!!!" He was a trip. LOL

I also remember the COHI guys walking around the different properties and inspecting our work, etc. I often wondered about them and how much money they made off the Kingdom preaching work.

Jeff S.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Jehovah's Liars -- Theocratic Warfare Stategists

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Straw buyers are common in many areas, but the pattern of lies is disturbing. Also the RE "Flipping" angle could loose them religious exemption from taxes. The above letter shows "intent".

If the "religious worship purpose" is called into question, the IRS or State could decide to go back years.... retroactivily and add fines.

Perhaps 10%-20% of a billion dollars...or more ??? I would expect a lein untill everything got sorted out in court.

Any tax attornies around?

The multiple corporations, hedge funds, and offshore accounts are begining to make more sense to me now..........hummmmm

CASH can be wired off-shore instantly...beyond the clutches of any one government. The entire trading and cash mangement staff could be transfered to another Bethel branch the same day. I would expect a decent $ manager to be getting returns of at least 10-12 % possibly much more since they may have inside information on some international commodities from JW insiders. Brilliant cash management stratigey.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Great to read in these cashing times.

I doubt the revenue is going to COHI Associates now...

Gorby

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    What happened to that hotel was it flipped later for luxury condos and sold off?
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    crazyguy: What happened to that hotel was it flipped later for luxury condos and sold off?

The site of the old Margaret Hotel is one of the Watchtower properties not yet put up for sale.

The Brooklyn Eagle has a three part series of articles on the properties that the WT still owns that are not on the chopping block...yet.

Part three lists the property in question.

Part One - Properties Jehovah's Witnesses Haven't Sold Yet.

Part Two

Part Three

* 97 Columbia Heights: A historic hotel where Betty Smith wrote “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.” A five-alarm fire on an Arctic-cold night. Fights with the neighbors over the height of the building that would rise from the ashes of the site.
    The residential tower at 97 Columbia Heights has a dramatic back story, to say the least.
    Originally, the Hotel Margaret stood there, an 1880s-vintage Romanesque Revival stunner built by coffee mogul John Arbuckle that was Brooklyn's tallest building for many years.
    The conflagration that destroyed this Brooklyn Heights Historic District architectural jewel took place in February 1980. At that time, the building was being converted into co-op apartments by developer Bruce Eichner.
    It was so cold that night that firefighters were covered in icicles by the time they quelled the blaze.
    In spring 1986, after legal battles over his proposed project's height, Eichner began excavation for a new 11-story apartment building on the site on the corner of Orange Street. In November 1986, the Watchtower purchased the property from H-M Associates, whose managing general partner was Eichner, Finance Department records show.
    The Watchtower's building has 135 residential units, Buildings Department records indicate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit