Breaking the Waves - Have You Seen It?

by Preston 1 Replies latest social entertainment

• Preston
    Preston

Breaking the Waves is a beautiful love story/spiritual film about a spiritually devout woman who belongs to a strict religious sect that allows people to comment (although nor freely), where marrying outside of your religion is a problem, and people who committ sins are publicly humiliated and condemned at their funeral (hmmmmm...does all of this sound familiar). It is a 2hr 20min movie, but for my money it is one of the best films ever made and I want everybody on the board to see it. It addresses problems that a group of church elders could never comprehend and it refers to the ambiguities of Christian faith. There are some parts which are hard to watch but I was moved by the suprise ending. I hope you give it a try.

• Drue
    Drue

Preston,

I saw the movie and agree it may be a good watch, but not everybody would enjoy it for sure. I also watched 'Dancer in the Dark' with by the same director (Lars von Trier) and again, i think its one of the best movies i ever watched, tho it is hard to say that i liked it, for it is really hard and tragic, as is Breaking the Waves.

A young woman goes blind. She is saving money for the surgery of her son so as to have a chance that his eyesight is protected. Love again prevails, but only thru a sacrifice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit