Keeping your pets safe during the holiday season

by Lady Lee 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

MAKE THE SEASON BRIGHT FOR YOUR PETS WITH OUR HOLIDAY SAFETY TIPS

"We see an increased number of calls related to pet poisoning between Thanksgiving and New Year's," says Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. Here's one holiday list you can check twice to help keep the furry members of your family happy and healthy:

Season's eatings shouldn't include holiday greenery such as holly, mistletoe, lilies or amaryllis. While commonly used to deck the halls, they can make your pet sick if ingested. (I've heard poinsettas are also toxic to pets)

Look before you light. Lit candles produce fumes that can be harmful to birds if inhaled. And don't forget, your pet's wagging tail can easily knock over a burning candle. Liquid potpourri is also dangerous to pets, who can ingest it from decorative bowls and simmering pots.

Whoa, Christmas tree! Evergreen branches definitely delight pets, who've been known to chew on them--and whatever else happens to be hanging from them. Place small, breakable ornaments up high, and keep tinsel and garland out of your pet's reach, because these can get caught in his throat. Pine needles are also toxic to your furry friends, and the water in your tree stand should be kept off-limits, too. Also watch out for that thin ribbon that is used to decorate some packages. Some animals love to chew on them. One of my cats loves to chew on plastic bags ans ribbon/string.

Keep batteries--loose and in packages--away from pets. They contain corrosives that can cause ulceration in your pet's mouth, tongue and gastrointestinal tract if bitten or swallowed.

Shy animals can get stressed with the hustle and bustle of holiday guests, so make sure there's a quiet room to which your pets can retreat.

If you suspect your pet has gotten into a potentially poisonous substance, call your veterinarian or your local pet shelter.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Artificial snow is poisonous; Christmas ornament fragments can perforate the stomach; string, ribbon, and tinsel if swallowed may cause painful intestinal problems; frayed light cords cause shock or burns.

Toxic plants and holiday/winter products:

Plants and other items associated with the winter and holiday season can be toxic to your pets. What follows is a general guide. Please consult your veterinarian, animal poison control, and the manufacturer for specifics. Remember, the earlier you seek treatment, the better for your pet!

Low toxicity -- poinsettia leaves/stems; balsam/pine/cedar/fir; angel hair (spun glass); Christmas tree preservatives; snow sprays/snow flock; tree ornaments; super glue; styrofoam; icicles (tinsel); and crayons/paints.

Moderate toxicity -- fireplace colors/salts; plastic model cement Moderate to high toxicity holly berries and leaves; bubbling lights (methylene chloride); snow scenes (may contain salmonella); aftershaves/perfumes/alcoholic beverages; and chocolate (dark is more toxic than milk).

Highly toxic -- mistletoe (especially berries); expoxy adhesives; and antifreeze. Please note that some items have special problems. For example, whereas angel hair is usually considered to be of low toxicity, it can irritate eyes, skin, and the gastrointestinal tract; the content of Christmas tree preservatives varies and often effects depend upon the amount ingested; styrofoam, small parts from Christmas tree ornaments and toys, as well as tinsel, can cause mechanical obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract; snow flock can cause problems if sprayed into the mouth and inhaled; and chocolate, of any type, should never be given to a pet. Antifreeze deserves special mention because even a very small amount can be rapidly fatal to pets.

Other holiday concerns

If you plan to take your pet with you during holiday visits, make sure that your pet is welcome first (with all the activity, it may be better to board your pet or hire a pet sitter). Holiday treats, such as rich, fatty food scraps, bones from fish, pork, and poultry, alcoholic beverages, and chocolate, can be harmful or toxic to pets. Do not allow friends and relatives to give your pet special treats it could ruin everyone's holiday (including your veterinarian's). Do not allow pets to play with ribbons, yarn, or six-pack beverage holders and don't put ribbons or yarn around your pet's neck. If you want to decorate your pet, invest in a holiday collar. These last for many years, are more attractive, and are a lot safer! Cover or tack down electrical cords.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Cats and Christmas Trees

Here are some of my tips: Set the tree up without decorating it for a few days in order to give your cats time to adjust to it. This is a new adventure for the cats and having a tinkling, glittery tree is just too hard to resist. I always leave my tree undecorated for about three days after putting it up.

To secure the tree, invest in a heavy base. The base the tree comes with may not be sturdy enough so shop around for a strong one. I have an artificial tree but I use a large base meant for a live tree. I made a heavy wooden insert to place inside of the base and the tree stem sits in that. When I place the tree skirt around the tree no one can tell how big the base is.

When my cats were young, I decided the best way to prevent a toppling tree was to anchor it to the wall. I positioned the tree against the wall, in front of a large picture. I then removed the picture and secured the tree to the wall using fishing line and a strong hook. After Christmas I put the picture back and no one saw where the hook had been. If you have hanging plants, you can place the tree under that spot (remove the plant, of course) and tie the tree to the ceiling hook with fishing line.

When you begin to decorate, leave the bottom third of the tree plain to avoid temptation. Also, don't use tinsel because it's very dangerous for cats. When choosing ornaments, try to go for ones that won't be as tempting -- I stay away from lightweight ornaments that dangle too much. Before putting lights on the tree, coat the cords with bitter apple to prevent your cats from chewing them. I also thread the end of the cord through a piece of PVC tubing (painted green so it won't look too ugly) right where it plugs into the wall. I also use a special cord called a Smart Cord. Safe Living makes it and it shuts off the electricity to the cord should there be a break in the integrity of the wire -- for instance, when a cat chews it. You can find information about the manufacturer in my book Think Like a Cat. When it comes to lights, I also stay away from ones that make a tinkling sound to further avoid temptation. I don't hang my ornaments with hooks. I use ribbon or decorative cording that I've coated with bitter apple. This way, I can tie the ornaments securely to the tree. Trust me, when I put an ornament on the tree, I make sure it's not going anywhere!

If your cats show an interest in the tree, place a corrugated cardboard scratching pad nearby. Also, make sure to grow some kitty greens for them. I've found if you place these objects near the tree, the cats tend to be less interested in chewing or climbing it. Also, never leave your tree lit when you leave the house or if you're going to be in another room -- just to be kitty safe.

Best,
    Pam Johnson-Bennett
    http://www.ivillage.com/pets/expert/behavior/pages/0,13523,261732_527621,00.html

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

bttt

• nelly136
    nelly136

(I've heard poinsettas are also toxic to pets)

not that good for humans either, we couldn't have them on the ward i worked on in case the patients ate them.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Thanks, Lady Lee for all these pointers - good to know!

Re: Poinsettias: Contrary to public opinion, they are NOT poisonous. See http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp -

• tec
    tec

Thanks Lady Lee!

We have a puppy. I think we've got to take all the same precautions as we would with a toddler in the house again :)

Tammy

• nelly136
    nelly136

sheesh, they banned our pretty plants for nuthin!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Lady Lee - Thank you so much! I thought I knew all there was to know about cats. Wow, you would think I had never celebrated Christmas with my cats before (Oh, thats right, I havn't)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit