Wasted 15 bucks today [a narrative account]

by seattleniceguy 6 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Okay, feel free to skip this message if you don't like long stories. I'm in a writin' mood, so I thought I'd try my hand at entertaining the readers of the group.

A couple weeks ago I went downtown to check out an exhibit on sustainable technologies. I was particularly impressed by a computer keyboard manufactured from carrot and celery fibers, using starch as a binder. The electronics could be removed when the keyboard's life had passed, and the housing and keys could be composted! Wonderful!

Feeling good thoughts about the brotherhood of mankind, and thinking optimistically about my own dreams of contributing somehow to a sustainable world, I hummed along into University Station, an underground bus station here in Seattle. Appropriately, I had taken public transit to see the exhibit on sustainable technology. As I entered the main section of the station, I saw two men playing music. It sounded really good - I was especially interested in the tight vocal harmonies and complex progressions. The music seemed to have a mideastern flair to it, and sure enough, I soon noticed a sign greeting "Peace" in various languages, of which Hebrew figured most prominently.

Normally, I would probably pass by without a second thought, but I was in a good mood, and the music was very high caliber. I listened to a couple songs and then made conversation. The leader, Yaakov, beamed to have someone so interested. He asked if he could play one more song, one based on the theme "How pleasant it is for...," he paused, "people...to dwell together in unity." Psalm 133, I correctly recalled.

Although I had lately been very much put off by biblical references, the Psalms seemed mostly harmless [sorry Doug Adams!], and the music was such that I had to think to myself, "Even if the Psalms do not hold great weight to me, how wonderful it is that they can inspire someone such as this to create such music! If they are a means for this person to reach a spiritual plane, then by all means, I applaud them."

After the song, I inquired about an album and learned that one was currently in production. I got Yaakov's email address so that I could contact him about purchasing a CD as soon as they were ready. A few emails and a few weeks later, today, we finally agreed to meet at a bookstore so I could pick up the CD. He was only asking for $10, but said that whatever I could give would be appreciated. I felt compassion for the man and promised to give him $15.

I met Yaakov in the bookstore and eagerly tore open the CD. The border of the book was lined with the seven-armed Jewish candelabra. Curiously, though, the first page inside advertised John 14:6, using the Hebrew name for Jesus, Yeshua. Could this be.... I examined the book with interest and noticed that it was filled with quotations from the New Testament. Most of the names of books and people were in the Hebrew.

"Are you..." - I hestitated, feeling like I could not possibly be wrong, but not wanting to insult him if I were - "a Christian?"

Yaakov revealed that he was, in fact, a Messianic Jew. This was very interesting to me. I had never met a Messianic Jew, even though I had worked in a very diverse territory for over three years. It also disappointed me somewhat. I had been hoping that he was a Jew, because I had read something very interesting only a couple weeks before.

Robert Jastrow's book God and the Astronomers includes an afterward by Professor of Religion Steven T. Katz, who makes this remark:

"Judaism is more an orthopraxis, or religion emphasizing correct behavior, both inner and outer, than an orthodoxy, or religion emphasizing correct beliefs....As a consequence, Judaism permits considerable freedom in the realm of ideas....No systematic attempt has been made over the centuries to define an orthodox cosmology to which every Jew must subscribe." (p. 126)

This fascinated me. I had never conceived of Judaism as a religion allowing such freedom of thought, and it appealed to me very much, even though I certainly had no intention of joining the local synagogue. I had hoped to discuss this with Yaakov.

Although my enthusiasm to speak to him was slightly dampened by the overt Christian preachiness of his lyrics card, I decided to ask him a few questions about his beliefs, honestly telling him that I was agnostic in my own personal views and that my interest was purely academic. What I did not expect was an hour-long discourse on his very JW-esque doctrine.

I tried to stay interested by noting the similarities and differences with WT doctrine, but his closed-mindedness shone through so brilliantly that it turned my stomach on several occasions. He had the same high-mindedness, that dismissiveness of all things not me, that characterizes so many religions. I several times offered a moderate view: Wasn't it possible that another reading also made sense here? But Yaakov was not to be taken by such New Age rhetoric. With a steady stream of scripture that danced about in those favorite books of Daniel, Elijah, and Revelation, sprinkling in some Matthew 24 for a slight Jesus flavor, Yaakov made the case for the future of the state of Israel, the nearness of Armageddon ("I can already see things coming together!"), and the true meaning of the transfiguration.

By the time I left, I had the sickening feeling that my newly acquired CD was not going to be all I had hoped. Sure enough, it was the Messianic Jewish version of Sing Praises to Jehovah. It even included a bonus track of Yaakov reading a passage from Acts in a very dramatic tone. Alas for the night! My dollars were wasted!

If nothing else, though, the experience was good in that it allowed me to see how the phenomenon we all know through the Witnesses is not limited to them. It would seem that there are many, many people who are similarly dead-certain of almost exactly the same things, but who would be able to quibble for hours over the mindless details. I'm always struck by an image of two midgets, locked in mortal combat, deftly defending themselves from the blows of the other, neither realizing that they both look absurd.

Perhaps my dollars were not spent in vain. If this story has made you smile or brought an interesting point to mind, let me know. I'd like to know it was productive at least in some small way! :)

SNG

• greven
    greven

Interesting story!

So their music on the CD was not the same kind as you heard on the street? That's a shame! I can find delight in some forms of religious music like Gregorian chats, epic and grandeur music. Indeed, religion can inspire people to create or compose great things. Spirituality and religion it seems, are able to bring both the best (freedom, tolerance, kindness) and the worst (bigotry, hathred, (mind)control, bloodshed) of humanity to the surface. You saw both sides of the coin for only 15 bucks. A bargain! ;o)

Greven

• Gadget
    Gadget

And here was me thinking that this was going to be another hunting thread........

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    "With a steady stream of scripture that danced about in those favorite books of Daniel, Elijah, and Revelation, sprinkling in some Matthew 24 for a slight Jesus flavor, Yaakov made the case for the future of the state of Israel, the nearness of Armageddon ("I can already see things coming together!"), and the true meaning of the transfiguration."

I Love it!! You have quite a way with words...great images...fighting midgits--GOOD STUFF!

Not a waste of my time at all--really enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    It would seem that there are many, many people who are similarly dead-certain of almost exactly the same things, but who would be able to quibble for hours over the mindless details.

Isn't that the truth!

Great story, SNG, thanks for sharing it. Sorry about your 15 bucks, though!

• tink
    tink
    I can find delight in some forms of religious music like Gregorian chats, epic and grandeur music.

me too!! i LOVE gregorian chant even though i am completely not religious. the human voice is an amazing instrument.

great story, sng, i really enjoyed it :)

• Odrade
    Odrade

Very interesting narrative Seattle. I also have noticed a great deal of similarity in many zealots of different faiths. It seems they are all just variations on a theme. The message may change slightly, but the tone is identical, as it the glazed look of fanatacism...

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit