Jesus and Military service?

by buffalosrfree 3 Replies latest jw friends

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

If Jewish males at the time of Christ were in the military at the age of twenty, and Jesus fulfilled the law, then Jesus would have had to become a part of that military when he was 20 also right???? Military at 20 (we are two years too early here in the states) and start up the ole ministry at 30. He had his career all planned out, did he retire from the military (20-50yrs) or was he just a reserve like those military reservists down in ole Mexico (jdub types).????Buff

• peterstride
    peterstride

Again, this is something that as a JW I never thought about. Wow, imagine if Jesus had served in the millitary. If it was compulsary for Jewish males to serve in the millitary, then it's a safe bet to say that Jesus also served. Wow...

Peter

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you have peace!

Actually, my Lord was a carpenter. However, carpenters DID build ships... and the military uses quite a LOT of ships, don't they? Thing that make you go 'hmmmmm...'

But we do not the military service was not condemned, by either my Lord, the law, the disciples, etc. Cornelius was a military officer and was NOT asked to leave the military. Quite reasonably, he was told the same thing that John the Baptist told those in the military service when they questioned him. You can find that at Luke 3:14, and please take note that if one were to be SATISFIED with one's 'provisions', one had to remain in the military to GET them!

My Lord only stated that he who lived 'by' the sword, would die 'by' the sword. Uh, that's usually what happened in military battles of those days, yes?

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Does the lack of response show that many of the former jdubs didn't participate in the defense of thier country or what? I think it bears much thought to think about whether or not Jesus was at one time part of the military in fulfillment of the law, what say you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit