Millionaire Elder JW umm...wtf?!

by Alostpuppydog 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alostpuppydog
    Alostpuppydog

So I know one should remove his own stick from his own eye before ones self judges another, but I noticed something. It seems that the wealthy Witnesses are the elders, the circuit overseers, the governing body... Are they really different from any other 'worldly' religions or even organizations? I mean look at the jewels the friggen pope wears. And the GB, they get first class dining day in and day out and Barkley pay those that do their laundry and are awstricken just by having seen them. Kinda reminds me of a place called North Korea...

But getting back on track here. I know an elder at the congregation I used to attend, before getting banned and never having been a witness myself but having studied a lot, I find this odd about him. He has a house worth at least a million dollars, majorly expensive vehicles, his kids get the best 'worldly' education (isn't that frowned upon???!?!?) and drive around in nothing less than the best. Now if I remember correctly Matthew the tax collecter gave everything he had to the congregation and stopped living a luxurious life. John the Baptist, the most righteous imperfect man to have ever exhisted ate honey and berries and lived in the wilderness hated by the wealthy Pharisees. Then there is Jesus, God's only begotten son who never even owned his own house and slept outside and had next to nothing extravagant but the basics to live in his preaching. And we are supposed to follow these God-like mortals that have literally no extra contact with the Ancient of days? I mean sure there was King David, Joseph, and Moses who lived in wealth for a time. But they all lived under the Law before Jesus came and it was a totally different time period. I guess all I am saying is 1John 2:15, James 2:5, Matthew 6:24, 1John 3:17...must I really go on.

If anyone has anything to add or to say feel free to comment but beware! I will read your comment. c:

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You forget how WT like to cite Malachi 3:10, the parable of the talents and Solomon as example of how Jehovah's blessing can result in spiritual and literal riches. Also, they like to point out how it's not money that is the problem but the "love of it."

It's like a variant of prosperity theology that WT teaches. Give to Jehovah generously in all things first and he will look after you and in the case of some blessed few he will look after very well indeed.

• prologos
    prologos

Elders , MS' are supposed be "not lovers of money" , so, the many millionaires among them must be really miserable, stuck with all that hateful loot they schemed and worked so hard for, worse, no relief in sight.

• average joe
    average joe

I know of two elders who refused to join the military and became convicts which prevented them from getting hired so they started their own business. After many years of hard work they now have a successful business and are millionaires. They still have the same modest house and car and you would never know they have money except for some loose lipped close friends.

There are a number of witnesses at the local hall. Dental assistant, some sort of medical salesman 300k a year, 3 engineers i know one is making 150k, 1 well off retired business executive of some electric company, medical assistant, mailman from new york-very well paid here, carpenter owns company works only for rich- very well paid, a few fireman,postman, 2 owners of a paint & body shops, a few more business owners, a few other well paid people. A bunch of regular people with average jobs. I am actually not in a wealthy area the ghetto is only a couple miles away from the middle class area i live in.

The pope is treated like a god and called holy father and people bow to him. He certainly is in a league of his own when it comes to riches and spending money. Man looking at many preachers living on millions of dollars while the people donating money certainly hope for a miracle to pay their bills since they gave the money to the preacher instead.

I certainly commend the witnesses for living on their own money instead of the poor paying for their mansions and extravagant lifestyles. It is interesting that witnesses are mocked for supporting the watchtower and then again for not supporting the watchtower with every dime they have.

Many witnesses are doing some college to get a better job.

• average joe
    average joe

I meant i commend them for making their own money instead of preying on their flock by convincing them to donate money even if they cant afford it, then using that money to amass wealth and buy private jets and mansions. It sickens me...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ALOSTPUPPYDOG:

I really don't have a problem with people being wealthy and wearing jewelry, etc., but agree that it is not how Jesus walked around.

My problem with the Witnesses is how they push poverty as though it were desirable, but yet THEY aren't pursuing it. The poverty being pushed is for somebody else, not them.

In my opinion, they were pushing poverty for single women in the hall, who they also targeted to do favors (hell no, I wouldn't lift a finger for these users). They are very hateful with their double standard..If you weren't buying their poverty bullshit (like me), and worked a decent job to support yourself, then you were criticized as being "not spiritual" and hardly invited anywhere. I didn't care whether they liked me or not. I had to look out for myself and am retired now.

I'm so grateful I never listened to these sick bastards, and I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit