Do as I say, not as I do

by LoveUniHateExams 7 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

And so it has come out that Shami Chakrabarti sent her son first to a prep school then on to prestigious Dulwich College. Both institutions feature entrance exams and fees (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3839975/Shami-Chakrabarti-embroiled-new-education-row-emerges-sent-son-18-000-prep-school.html).

She joins other people of the Left who oppose grammar schools but sent their own sprogs to selective, exclusive schools: Polly Toynbee, Seumus Milne, Diane Abbot and Harriet Harman. For Toby Young, it's how such a decision reflects on their credibility, not the blatant hypocrisy, that he has an issue with (http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/10/sorry-shami-chakrabarti-but-those-school-fees-are-a-waste-of-money/). For me, it's the blatant hypocrisy.

What is it with these people?

How can Shami Chakrabarti have the nerve to continue opposing grammar schools after what she's done?

If they believe in normal state comprehensives, why can't they send their own brats to them?

Why do they insist on forcing their opinions on the rest of us but exempting their own children?

• Tallon
    Tallon

Do as I say, not as I do - hypocrisy indeed.

Mind you some of these politicians are no different to some of the 'leaders' in the Org.

• Half banana
    Half banana

If nothing else they value education as a prerequisite for a fulfilling life but hypocrisy is inexcusable. The politician speaks for the poor but acts like the privileged because privileged they are!

Even the political left know that society is best served by good education. Eighty years ago it was the public school* intellectuals who supported communism until the disenchantment came with Stalin.

*Note for those in north America; the use of 'public school' here in Britain perversely means 'private school' (that is public or fee charging school as opposed to the free of charge state school).

• cofty
    cofty

Diane Abbott sent her son to £12,700 per year City of London School. When she was challenged about that by Andrew Neil she replied West Indian mums will go to the wall for their children.

Imagine a white British politician excusing their hypocrisy by saying "White mums will go to the wall for their children".

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The only really dud comment I can ever remember you making Cofty. The opposite of "West Indian mums" is only " White mums" if you are racist in your views.

Back on topic, I know it is hypocritical what these politicians have done, but they are recognizing the situation as it pertains at present for their kids' prospects.

More Grammar schools will not help the situation to improve as far as I can see.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Even the political left know that society is best served by good education – there’s nothing wrong with this per se but the key issue is that certain people of the Left have different notions of good education – one for their children and another for their constituents. Cofty brought up the prime example of Diane Abbott. She sent her son to the exclusive, fee-paying City of London School whilst foisting bog-standard, drug-ridden comps onto her constituents, the plebs.

How does she have the nerve? Who can take her seriously?

Here’s a car crash interview between Neil and Abbott on This Week. It may or may not feature your quote, Cofty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqCSyOqls7M

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

More Grammar schools will not help the situation to improve as far as I can see - I think you may be right. TBH, I'm not particularly in favour of grammar schools. They wouldn't be needed if every comprehensive accepted that competition and streaming aren't bad things.

Plus, I don't think putting 11 year old children through the 11-plus is necessarily a good idea.

It's just the rank hypocrisy that gets to me. Putting Abbott/Chakrabarti/Milne/etc anywhere near the issue of education is like putting a paedophile in charge of a crèche.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just to say, I think an appropriate response from Abbott would be along these lines: "I've spent a reasonable amount of my career opposing grammar schools and advocating state comprehensives and now I've sent my son to a selective school. I did this because I love my children and put their interests first. My former position regarding education in the UK is intellectually and morally untenable, so from now on I'll drop my opposition to selective schools and my advocacy of state comprehensives ..."

Have we heard that before? Didn't think so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit