Jehovah's Terrorist?

by TerryWalstrom 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Terry - I remember after the meeting a while after the RFK assassination, during the closing comments they mentioned if anyone knew that Sirhan Sirhan was a JW to contact Bethel, or however it was worded, but I definitely remember them making that announcement.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I remember after the meeting a while after the RFK assassination, during the closing comments they mentioned if anyone knew that Sirhan Sirhan was a JW to contact Bethel, or however it was worded, but I definitely remember them making that announcement.

I guess the cold sweat running down the back of the GB's neck was pure fear.

That's interesting because this sort of announcement would surely spread the rumor like wildfire. Nobody spreads rumors faster than Jehovah's Witnesess.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

and I grew up in NYC, so if they made the announcement in NY and the assassination happened in LA, I guess they read that letter at all the congregations across the country.

Funny thing is, I was around nine or ten years old at the time, I remember telling my dad who wasn't baptized as of yet " Daddy, guess what? SIrhan Sirhan was a Jehovah's Witness !"

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

It looks like Sirhan's family, once they reached California, went religion shopping and they tried a bunch of different flavors.
    I don't know how the Elders in the village where Sirhan's father lived got their impressions about Jehovah's Witnesses, but they were pretty definite.
    I suppose having something emblazoned on the side of your house with the name JEHOVAH so prominent probably had something to do with it.

I know plenty of people who have their own spin on religion which they mash up from whatever they read. For instance, Charles Manson studied Scientology for a while and he used some of what he learned to impress his followers on the Spahn Ranch in Calif He was in no way a Scientologist. He was the leader of an apocalyptic cult in which Blacks and Whites would have a race war and Manson himself would emerge as the world leader.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit