How a former JW preps for doomsday . . .

by compound complex 3 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

What, no bunker?

I'm disappointed.

Vidiot

• compound complex
    compound complex

It was during a late-night run to Lowe’s for any remaining N95 masks that I began to suspect I was propelled by something more than common sense. Perhaps, I told myself, the threat of a pandemic had brought to the surface the alienation I feel in a middle-class Connecticut suburb, after growing up poor. “These wealthy so-and-so’s will just close their gates and sic the dogs on me,” I texted my siblings. Or maybe I was anxious about living on the crowded East Coast, where I can’t literally head for the hills at the first sign of trouble, as I could on the Ozark farm where I grew up.

My blunt childhood friend, Krystal, diagnosed a different cause for my anxiety: “You were raised in a bit of a doomsday cult,” she texted, after I confessed I’d been binge-shopping. “It’s natural your brain would go to the worst-case scenario.” It’s been 27 years since I left the Jehovah’s Witnesses. I went to an Ivy League college, attended graduate school, built a writing career and married a man as irreligious as I am. It’s easy to forget how devout I was in my formative years, when I believed that Armageddon could arrive any day. The coronavirus crisis has reawakened feelings I haven’t experienced since.

• belogical
    belogical

I live in a land where Volcanic activities have far reaching effects and can leave you stranded for months in the area that you may live in.

I have always had at least two months food available 1000 Liters of water 100 liters of Petrol 30 KG LPG It has done us good the last two months with minimal need to leave our home.

Lock down in our country has had a good effective way of reducing the problems of covid-19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit