Money Making Ideas

by LostintheFog1999 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

When I was in I can remember reading WT commands not to use the brothers and sisters as an opportunity for business ventures.

I guess in hindsight it was because the WTC was already doing it and didn't want competition for the resources of income being limited. In addition to buying all your own literature and magazines, who else remembers the book covers, notebooks, bookmarks, etc sold at conventions with the assembly theme stamped on the front in gold coloured lettering?

Nowadays people claiming to be jws have oodles of websites selling all manner of goods to them, many infringing the JW logo. They must have lots of JW customers or I guess they wouldn't be making enough profit to continue. How times have changed!!

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

There's just one example. Tacky or what?

https://thebestlifeevershop.com/

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I always felt those businesses that resourced products for the witnesses were, for want of a better word, exploiting the "friends". What do I know? Whereas I resented them, some in the congregations ate it all up. It seemed to me the pioneers were in the forefront of that. They had the newest in bookbag, folders for tracts or magazines, time keeping notebooks and house to house records. The kids would have their special sized bags. It was surprising to see how many people would spend money on these items. I knew some "tight wad" friends who had a Bible, songbook, and reasoning book all bound together and made a gift to my spouse of it with name engraved as I recall. I have been given book markers with bookstudy schedules on them and magnets with scriptures or sayings like : early in the month ,early in the year ( how pioneers to best make their yearly requirement ) Well, I am pleased to say I never bought anything from the companies that sold these items. It seemed to me that it made some of the people feel more important if they had the books bound, etc. I knew a woman on SSI and little money, but she had her fancy bound books. I took a quick glance at the link, and noticed a cup...( I will check it out more just to see what "tacky" items are designed to make a JW feel special, like they are more spiritual minded than the others -I am glad I just wrote that for I think it defines why the jw buy that stuff; it to show the others how they are more spiritual than those who don't have it. ) editing this in: I took a closer look at the link and found it revolting: like pioneers need their own printed on mugs. James wrote there was to be no distinction among themselves, but the JW and the exploiters of JW didn't get the message.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I can recall something like that during the 80s or 90s, but that was around the time that there were lots of MLM schemes going around, where you were trying to sell some third-party product, and you could make more money by recruiting others to sell the same product. I think you would get a small cut from the sales of the people you recruited. So the idea was to get as many people onboard as you could.

You didn't want to be too successful, since each person recruited was one less person to sell to.

But those schemes tend to encourage competitive behavior and trying to sell as much product as you can, which leads to pressure tactics and eventually hard feelings and possibly a major headache for the elders if it gets big enough. And few people actually make enough money to feel that the whole venture was worthwhile.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

kingdom condoms ?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

If a person gets involved with some of the marketing programs, they are told to reach out and recruit from their circle of relatives and friends. ( when you think about it, JW org is multi level marketing ) I was new in a congregation and a member called me wanting to come to visit. I felt like they were reaching out to be friendly. That wasn't the case. It was to introduce to me their business and how I could get involved.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH:

You are so right about being invited for something like that and things similar! But it was certainly not to reach out or be friendly!

My experience in the JW religion was that I was unpopular because I worked and didn’t pioneer. Yet, I was still invited to people’s MLM parties (and a baby shower here & there). Which is to say, any venture where I was wanted to spend money.

Naturally, I wasn’t invited to those secret pioneer gatherings/dinners. But, if it was something where I was a potential cu$tomer to spend bucks - I got an invitation. After a while I recall declining because I just didn’t need their products.

After this it was radio silence with all these phonies, which was fine with me.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

My Father was a CEO for a major oil company and we would get pitched by some Brothers with a business opportunity that needed capital to start. We never started anything with any business Start up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit