Do the publications still use exclamation! points excessively?

by BettyHumpter 8 Replies latest jw friends

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

I dont know why the question popped into my head. I've been out since '90-'91 and haven't read any literature in years. Was this a Fred Franz quirk or do they still write in that style? I know Franz probably didn't personally author every article published while he was alive, but the publications did have a distinct "authors voice" back when I was around that I assume was the writers consciously or unconsciously mimicking the Fred Franz style.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I know what you mean, they'd go "Ah! But..." or "oh!" and stuff like that lol

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

As an outsider, it's funny to see how everything gets reduced to a formula like this:

'Is there a 'house style' for watchtower articles? Yes! Why? Because our readers prefer it that way. How do we know this? Because we told them so. What a wonderful provision from Jehovah!'

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

WT Publications (what little they even put out anymore) are written at a 3rd Grade level. They are infantile. The Governing Body also "talk down" to the Flock in such a manner.

Example: Stephen Lett. He speaks in baby-talk, with drawn out weird facial expressions.

Know who else infantilized their members to a baby-like state, and also had wide-eyed crazy facial expression? Marshall Applewhite, leader of the Heaven's Gate cult.

Scary.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Do the publications still use exclamation! points excessively?

Absolutely!

The current convention title is "Pursue Peace"!

They have always done this, I always thought it was a US thing, maybe not.

When I was at school (George VI was on the throne when I started) we were always taught that exclamation marks (points) were mainly used in fiction. "Good grief!" cried Alice, "Nothing's impossible!"

Probably says it all.

George

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I faded in the late 90s to early/mid-aughts. I would say that, as late as 2003-4 (the last time I would say I read any of the literature at all) they were still using exclamation points to emphasize how wonderful it is to get this provision from Jehovah God!

More annoying than that was the way that, in the 90s, the speakers at conventions would end their speeches with loud and emphatic voices, rising to a crescendo that would end in long and loud applause from the audience. I think they got a bit addicted to it for a while. Even guys that I knew were pretty even-keeled gave in and started sounding like Pentecostal preachers as they closed their talks.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

TonusOH=> It's as if they are trying to make a PRODUCTION out of everything they say and do ("LOOK AT US, WORLD OF MANKIND!") 🤢🤮😫🤬

• Ding
    Ding

I always noticed the titles' use of question marks.

"Living Forever-- How Possible?"

• Lpeterson
    Lpeterson

Hello there..I'm a child of a JW mother and complete fool of a father.. But I managed to get it together..I have spent a good part of my life rethinking faith..Now I'm finally at a place where I can say..God and the thought God is simple and complex all at the same time..I learned alot about the Bible as a JW kid..I know the Holy scriptures..and that made me study the Bible..But what really changed my thoughts was when I took a religion class in college..I could go on and on..but the matter of the fact is..JW is just an opinion of someone that caught on..Just like all churches/religions are.. especially the JWs..God help else all..I love Christmas and Christmas trees..and I wear a cross on my neck almost every day..But I see the Buddhist are the most peaceful people I know.. and I have a big old picture of Buddha in my home..I guess I'm a mess😁..Have a great day everyone..please comment to my post..let know what you think..Lpeterson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit