Anyone taken the Metropolitan Museum of Art JW tour, "The Woman and Her Offspring"?

by Cadellin 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

These are apparently private tours by JWs (pios who do it for a "contribution," I believe), who highlight the "historical evidence" for various Bible events or prophecies. There are a variety of themes, but I had a relative just take one on the Woman and the Seed/Offspring (is "offspring" the new word for JWs?). She thought it was the most amazing thing since sliced bread but I was curious if anyone here has taken one and what their take is...

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I've taken one in the British Museum. Some Bethelites had a side thing going where they'd do a bible tour for a "contribution". At the time i was a JW and found it informative and interesting. But looking back i now realize he was just showing us ancient Egyptian/Babylonian things that are mentioned in the bible, it doesn't prove the existence of Moses or the red sea incident.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I have taken the tour in New york, some 8 years before, when this was started. My local Congregation zealots created a Hype that the Museum is full of Biblical evidences, to be seen and get encouraged. They also said that the Museum supports more of Creation rather than Evolution. I was a halfway "Apostate" during that time and thought I could give a try.

To my dismay, the tour was anything but they promised. No evidence of creation...No Biblical evidences… nothing. The tour conductor showed us a small dwelling, which was said to be prevalent during those ancient times, and which may have been a similar housing where Paul dwelt. Nothing more. All other things he went through was just ancient stuff, but no way connected to the Bible.

Not surprised now, after having known about all the deceptive tactics of Watchtower.

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Thanks, pale.emeror and EverApostate. You confirm my suspicions...

• Giordano
    Giordano

It occurs to me that the idea that a 'pioneer' or a 'Bethelite' from one of the world's least educated religions would be able to make a coherent, informed, accurate and substantial presentation of Middle East history........... would be a dream come through.......not.

• blownaway
    blownaway

LMAO, what evidence? Its about like saying because Troy existed then Medusa turned men to stone. LOL

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the U K we used to have a thriving scene at the British Museum. The guides were pioneers of differing ability. One I remember seemed a real enthusiast for the subject , others just had a learned script.

At the time we found them brilliant, and it was a great day out for the cong.

Since waking up to the reality of things I would love to park myself at an exhibit they are going to use and when they come around...I respectfully listen but raise my hand to ask why they talk about 607BCE when the exhibit label says 537 BCE?

Last time we visited the museum privately a dub tour came around but with just two to listen to it. We spoke to them and they said the rest of the coach party had scarpered off to "go around the London shops instead! "

• TimDrake1914
    TimDrake1914

I've had JW friends who have taken these tours also talk about it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm sure to a mentally in, uneducated JW who hears all things and believes all things to only confirm their pre-existing beliefs, these tours are probably almost as good to them as sucking a GB member's dick.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Lived in new York for many years. Went several times

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit