The SARS coronavirus - 8 months duration

by The Fall Guy 7 Replies latest social current

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Chinese government officials did not inform the World Health Organization of the outbreak of SARS until February 2003. This lack of openness criminal cover-up caused delays in efforts to control the epidemic. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) - Patients under 24 were least likely to die (less than 1%); those 65 and older were most likely to die (over 55%) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome

Still no vaccine for SARS, so how much worse is COVID 19 really going to be - and to last?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

SARS was contained to a few outbreaks mainly in China, Hong Kong, Canada, Taiwan and Singapore, with 8000 cases and fewer than 800 deaths.

The new coronavirus crucially differs from the first SARS outbreak in that people are contagious and spread the virus before symptoms appear. This is one of the main reasons why the new coronavirus was not contained, now affects most countries, and is on course to cause millions of deaths, and leave many more survivors with chronic health problems.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Interesting that the particular virus (SARS) was brought to humans pretty much the same way this new corona virus has.

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a viral respiratory disease of zoonotic origin caused by the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV). Between November 2002 and July 2003, an outbreak of SARS in southern China caused an eventual 8,098 cases, resulting in 774 deaths reported in 17 countries (9.6% fatality rate),[1] with the majority of cases in mainland China and Hong Kong.[2] In late 2017, Chinese scientists traced the virus through the intermediary of civets to cave-dwelling horseshoe bats in Yunnan province.[3] No cases of SARS have been reported worldwide since 2004.[4] However, the related virus SARS-CoV-2 is the cause of the ongoing 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.

Horseshoe bats are relevant to humans as a source of disease and as food and medicine in some regions. Several species are the natural reservoirs of SARS, though masked palm civets were the intermediate hosts through which humans became infected. Some evidence suggests that some species could be the natural reservoir of SARS-CoV-2, which causes coronavirus disease 2019. They are hunted for food in several regions, particularly Sub-Saharan Africa, but also Southeast Asia. Some species or their guano are used in traditional medicine in Nepal, India, Vietnam, and Senegal.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

@ SBF - Just got back home and saw your post -

"and is on course to cause millions of deaths, and leave many more survivors with chronic health problems."

Reading between all the 'lines' and listening to my instincts, I agree with you 100%.

From day one, I was immediately sceptical about the press releases from China and then how the UK government responded. I told my wife and 2 closest friends that I thought the situation was way worse than we were being told. I believe that's still the case.

The world hasn't been brought to a virtual standstill for nothing.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

THE FALL GUY:

I am inclined to believe you.

I also suspect this virus is somewhat more contagious than they are saying and they either didn’t know or withheld this from the public so as not to cause more panic.

I have a hard time believing that all these numbers of sick people all ‘touched’ something. As for saying ‘well maybe somebody they knew..’. I don’t know.

There are other things I can speculate on but I won’t. Let’s just hope they can get this thing under control and/or get whatever drug or vaccine on the scene. I’m hoping this ‘shelter in place and social distancing’ helps somewhat. Good Luck to everybody.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    From what I’ve read the virus mechanism of spread is somewhere in the spectrum between droplet infection and airborne infection. Less contagious than measles but more contagious than flu. So you can get it in a room from breathing the same air as someone if you’re unlucky.
    The death rate in Italy is currently standing at a terrifying 8%. This figure is too high because some mild cases are presumably not caught in the figures. But it’s also too low because there is a lag between the case and death figures because many severe cases are ongoing and some of those will also result in death. So what’s the true figure when all is said and done? Who knows, but it looks worrying.
    Plus there is the fact that two strains of the virus have been identified, one more deadly than the other. Some individuals have been confirmed as contracting both strains at the same time! So where does that leave the notion of immunity for those who’ve had the disease? Are they immune to one strain and not the other? And since the virus seems prone to mutation, are survivors immune to further strains that will evolve? Some viruses like the cold are like this, because you can catch a cold over and over again. Is herd immunity even a useful concept in relation to this virus if that’s the case?
  • LV101
    LV101

The Chinese government is the WHO or it's their created worldwide agency.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is herd immunity even a useful concept in relation to this virus if that’s the case?

Yes in a sense that you can restrict infections temporarily until a vaccination is found or reduce the over all numbers to effect the number of deaths.

What the health officials are attempting to do is contain the majority of infections, which from my personal opinion is pretty hard, based upon how the virus transfers .

The best way to block this virus to transfer to yourself is to restrict being public as much as possible and wash carefully after you do..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit