Loss of Tax exemption for Australian religious organizations

by defender of truth 6 Replies latest social current

• defender of truth
    defender of truth
    I have no clue when it comes to Australian politics, but these articles got my interest.
    Could this be the start of something?...
    It would take too much space to quote them all, but please read each one in order. It might make more sense, what I am getting at.
    It seems to me that the debate we no doubt all want to see happen: 'Why do religions, those who don't do any community work except advancing their own religion, get tax exemption?', could be coming soon.
    Or maybe I am wrong?

www.crikey.com.au/2016/04/05/essential-voters-want-to-dump-religious-tax-exemption/

http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/tax-exemption-for-religious-groups-should-end-poll/2994952/

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/easter-is-a-good-time-to-revisit-taxexempt-status-of-religious-organisations-20160323-gnpzjj.html
    ^^ Note who wrote the article, it says at the end.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Sex_Party
    ^^ Yes, the above is actually a real political party. Read the page, trust me. Brief description:

The Australian Sex Party is an Australian political party founded in 2009 in response to concerns over the increasing influence of religion in Australian politics.

The Sex Party is registered at state level in Victoria, where it has parliamentary representation, and in the Australian Capital Territory and Northern Territory.

Now for the good stuff...

Religious institutions should pay more state-based taxes, the Sex Party says, as it pushes to overturn long-standing exemptions.

The party wants new laws to be introduced to force religious groups to take on an increased share of the tax burden.

...But the Sex Party hopes that publicly debating the proposal will generate publicity and attract public support. "It's time to have the debate," Ms Patten said.
    The party is currently drawing up a bill that would result in greater taxes for religious groups.
    Ms Patten said she may seek to change the definition of charities to remove promoting religion as a tax-exempt purpose.

[the Watchtower of Australia states on the Charities page that their purpose is 'advancing religion'. Same thing... See here:

www.acnc.gov.au/RN52B75Q?ID=91956EB4-F967-4486-8D20-89B6E9A28BCC&noleft=1 ]

She hopes to introduce a bill into Parliament later this year.
    http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/time-to-end-tax-exemptions-for-religious-groups-sex-party-20160313-gnhp5n.html

www.outinperth.com/sex-party-petition-repeal-acls-charitable-status/

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/who-are-the-australian-christian-lobby-20160218-gmy67y.html

------------
    You can sign their petition here if you wish to do so:
    www.change.org/p/to-the-house-of-representatives-and-the-minister-for-social-services-review-the-charitable-status-of-the-australian-christian-lobby
    Here are some great parts of the petition letter >>
    The signatories of this petition call upon Christian Porter (Minister for Social Services) and Kelly O’Dwyer (Assistant Treasurer) to reform the laws governing the charitable status of basic religious organisations and to review the charitable status of the Australian Christian Lobby in particular.

The Australian Christian Lobby claims its primary purpose is advancing religion. Advancing religion means promoting “a belief in a supernatural being, thing or principle and acceptance of canons of conduct which give effect to that belief.”
    Currently, basic religious organisations like the ACL are entitled to tax-exempt status because advancing religion is presumed to be of public benefit...
    The Charities Act should be reformed to exclude the advancement of religion from automatic tax exemption.

Basic religious organisations should be required to demonstrate the public benefit of their activities. (The law currently deems "prayerful intervention by closed or contemplative religious orders" to be of public benefit!)
    Currently, basic religious organisations are not only presumed to be of public benefit and given automatic tax exempt status, they also don’t have to submit financial statements to the Charities Commission and they don’t have to comply with the Charities Commission governance standards.
    These exemptions should be reformed. All charities should be treated the same, with the same financial reporting requirements and the same governance standards.
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    All I have to say to the Sex Party's proposal is: Yes ... yes ... yes ... give it to us ... yes ... ahhh ...
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Does anyone have a mature comment to make?...

Do you think this could go somewhere? Maybe affect Watchtower and other religious groups that don't do any valuable community work?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Slowly but surely those who are unaffiliated with any religious organization will become the majority, even in the US. As that happens, it seems only natural that the majority will begin to look at the religious organizations that do nothing for them and ask why they're getting a free ride. It will happen, but like most things in government, it will be slow.
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Here is Ms Patten's twitter feed:

www.twitter.com/fionapattenmlc

(maybe someone with a Twitter account could tell her about another org that should lose tax exempt status, ie the Watchtower, along with a link to a damning ARC report? The Australian Sex Party supported the ARC, according to their wiki page.)

Here is her email:

[email protected]

--------------

Please sign the petition (or pass it on to any Australian folk you happen to know;) ). I haven't seen one written quite like this before, certainly not with so many signatures..

www.change.org/p/to-the-house-of-representatives-and-the-minister-for-social-services-review-the-charitable-status-of-the-australian-christian-lobby

Currently, basic religious organisations like the ACL are entitled to tax-exempt status because advancing religion is presumed to be of public benefit...

The Charities Act should be reformed to exclude the advancement of religion from automatic tax exemption.

Basic religious organisations should be required to demonstrate the public benefit of their activities.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Not just a bump.. Sorry, I probably should have posted this earlier.

This is the maker of the petition:

"Meredith Doig

Dr Meredith Doig is president of the Rationalist Society of Australia. She is currently on the Council of Federation University Australia, and the board of Federation Training.

She is standing as the lead Senate candidate from Victoria for the Australian Sex Party in this year's federal election.

www.rationalist.com.au/about-us/committee/meredith-doig/ "

www.change.org/u/518427227

^^ Please have a look at the rationalist link above.

I hope that this thread will not be ignored or dismissed simply because of the name of her political party. This woman is no slouch. ;)

p.s It's OK if the thread is ignored because my writing is crap and unmotivational. :)

Please sign/pass on the petition if you like it. Over and out. ;)

• zeb
    zeb

I feel that if the laws are changed and its a long road to change laws and if then religions are required to pay taxes inc the wts they will abandon Australia all together. Especially with the mauling they have had via the ARC.

stay tuned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit