Staying True to your Convictions . . .

by azaria 6 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

as long as it’s done with a loving heart.

I was washing the dishes this afternoon when the thought occurred to me. Maybe it was because what James Thomas had said to DoodleV about her brother staying true to his beliefs. All religions claim to have the only truth, whether it’s the Jews, Catholics, Mormons, JW’s, CRC, etc, etc. I always felt that I had to choose a door, and always felt too stupid to figure out which door. Maybe it’s as simple as God is Truth and that’s it. As long as you stay true to your self, keep your options, views, open, but if it feels right (in your gut) then stay with that. This weekend my daughter stayed with her dad so I had two days just for myself. I have always believed that there is too much noise in our lives, the physical and the internal noise in our own heads. To be quiet (like the song I had mentioned in another post, Be Still) just to feel God’s presence and not try to find the answer in a book, (not that I reject reading, I have read many good books) but to keep a balance. There are some things that are so ingrained in me (like free-will, baptism at a time when you personally choose-not infant baptism etc) For me it just feels right, but for someone else something else feels right. Who am I or who are they to say who is truly right. Maybe it’s the attitude of the heart that ultimately really matters. Just my thoughts.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I do believe that is very much true. I think what is most important it what is inside you and how you feel about God. Sometimes I even wonder if organized religion is needed. Can we have a relationship with God on our own? I think it is possible.

• Gerard
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Azaria, Throughout the ages there have been people of extremely diverse religious and cultural backgrounds who unitedly agreed that at our core is our ultimate Truth, That which the word "God" points to. They have said similar as you, in that it is the continuous commentary, judgment and jabbering of the mind that creates a separate and false-identity and seems to veil, or hide this deeper pristine Truth, our actual Oneness with our Source. There is an innate wisdom far more intelligent than the mind, which the sages have often referred to as our "heart of hearts", deeper and more intimate than the mind. A living Presence which we all share, and when realized can cause all boundaries to vanish. It's here now, if we just "be still and know". Do not discount these feelings you are having. Honor them; and when you have time, sit in stillness and silence with them. Allow them to reveal to you who you really are. j

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Azaria,

Love is the greatest commandment, right? Who has greater love for us than the one who put us here? He knows we are put here under varying circumstances, some a lot worse than others, and he knows we have all kinds of conflicting religious "truths" thrown at us through out our lives. He knows we are understandably confused about what the truth is. He especially understands this after we have been hurt by religion. He loves us. And according to the scripture I mentioned in my PM, love never fails. Look for places you can do good and show love. I think this is what he wants. He wants us to help each other more than we hurt each other. So find a place where people are doing good and helping each other. Trust that the one who put us here loves us and that his love will never fail.

For some reason we all have to endure the pain and sadness in this life. We will all take great lessons with us when go. Hopefully we love while we're here and we help make someone else's load easier to bear because of our expression of this love.

Heather

• Carmel
    Carmel

I've never been convicted! cept for a speeding ticket once....

caveman

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Maybe it?s the attitude of the heart that ultimately really matters. Just my thoughts.

I think you are right, after all Jesus like to keep things simple. Paraphrasing, He said the greatest commandments were to love God and love your neighbor - on those lay all the laws and the prophets.

Nice thread...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit