Hindsight is 20/20 and Bizarre at Best

by jwundubbed 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

When I was a kid, living in Quakertown PA, I tried to play with the kids in the neighborhood. It was a new and small neighborhood with just a handful of kids, but they were all in my generation.

One day the boy across the street comes up to me and two girls from down the street and tells us he just got a Ouija Board and we should all play. I told him that I couldn't play because I was a Jehovah's Witness and demons are afraid of Jehovah and his witnesses so it wouldn't even work if I tried to play with the board.

All three of those kids had stunned looks on their faces as they went to play with the Ouija board together, somewhere else. It was literally 2 decades later that I realized how bizarre and creepy, in such a bad way, I must have come across to those kids. I mean, first, most kids think Ouija is fake while I clearly believed it was real. Second, most people think that if it is real it is a way to contact spirits of the dead, not demons.

Those kids never wanted to play with me ever again and I can totally understand why, now looking back. Now, I have to laugh at it even though it is kind of horrible. I didn't take offense and wasn't hurt that they didn't want to play with me at the time, because they were worldly and it was better off that way. I don't take offense now that I can see the situation properly.

It's just so weird, sometimes, to see how bizarre our thoughts and behaviors are in hindsight.

Has anyone else experienced looking back and seeing things, completely different, but so bizarre?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Yes, I can remember something along those lines when I told other children that Jesus was Michael the Archangel. The looks on their faces were really something when I dropped that one on them. I quickly found out that pretty much no one except JW's believes that particular doctrine. It was an early lesson for me to check things out before I opened my mouth. It also was a very early lesson about how far from mainstream the Borg was.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" It's just so weird, sometimes, to see how bizarre our thoughts and behaviors are in hindsight."

It certainly is ! as I look back at the person I was as a believing J.W.

Just the other day I did this, and it kind of shocked me that I DID actually believe a lot of the nonsense, never all of it, but it was like looking at someone else, a stranger, and a weird deluded Believer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit