Homicides/Familicides among JW's

by marriedtodamob 5 Replies latest jw friends

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

In light of the threads on the JW's murdered in FL, I wanted to start this thread. As many of you know, I live in OR, and we have had more than our share of incredibly gruesome familicides/homicides right here in my state. In fact, in my county and the one next door. Please take time to read this link:

http://www.kgw.com/health/stephanie_stricklen/stories/kgw_0108_health_stricklen_familicide.39c26d6.html

One was the well publicised familicide on the OR coast involving a shunned/disfellowshipped family of 5. The father, Christian Longo, killed his entire family. The other was only a few months later outside the town of Mcminnville, where the same exact thing happened, only the father shot himself after killing his entire family-again 5 people, all JW's who were shunned/DF'd by their families. Additionally, as might be expected, both families had extreme financial difficulty some as a direct result of their not being to work in the JW based businesses that they had previously been working in for years. There is alot more to these stories of course, and I welcome any and all additional info if you have some.

I find it so very disturbing, and so incredibly senseless.

Although not JW, but a "deeply religious and devout Christian" Edward Morris killed his entire family just one year ago this month, again, just miles from where I live.

I cannot help but continue to ask as my 4th generation JW husband continues his reinstatement quest, and as I am now so much a part of a bigger "scheme" that I call "the mob" which is his entire family, etc....am I safe? Anyone within a cult of any kind certainly IS NOT. Like my name implies..."married to da mob" is becoming more of a reality than I ever truly considered when I came up with this witty name...

What about you? Share your thoughts...

mobbie (from the "had absolutely NO idea who she really married class")

• bebu
    bebu

Yes, it is unsettling. But I think there is a great deal of coincidence here, too, since I think there would be a lot more familicides than just 2 if it were not.

But you have some valid concerns and questions; I imagine that the JWs were reasoning that they would be resurrected if they all died beforehand... that would certainly make me feel uneasy!

(BTW, Mobbie, how is your husband doing? Has he read the info you gave him--or did I miss your post?)

bebu

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Thanks for asking Bebu! I have not given it to him yet-he is working long hard hours these next few weeks and it would be pointless to do so. I am waiting for a more opportune time when he is rested and not so run down-I know from experience that this is a better time to talk to him about the WTS. I will keep everyone updated!

mobbie

• seven006
    seven006

Mobbie,

First of all I think you may have your dates wrong. The fist incident was Robert Bryant and his family and then it was Longo and his. Also it was outside of McMinnnville, there is no "a". Robert Bryant and Christian Longo were very different people even though they were both shunned ex-JWs. Robert was pushed to the brink of insanity by not only his past beliefs but also his trying to accept his new Christian beliefs and thinking he spoke directly to god. Christian Longo was just a complete self centered asshole.

Without knowing how deep your husbands brain washing is, it is hard to tell what he might be capable of. Both the Longo and Bryant cases were extreme. If you could fill us in on what your fears are maybe we may be of some help. It's late so if you respond to this post I will respond back in the morning. Just remember, not all JW's or exJW's are crazy.

Take care,

Dave

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Hey Dave, thanks for responding. If you read the news link I provided, you will see that I do in fact have the time line relatively correct, and I did say "outside" Mcminnville. As to fears...hmm have to think about that, but in general, it is just in not knowing what the heck is going on in his head anymore-or WHO is really is. He seems altogether a different person. As you said, it is late, and I will save more replies for the morrow as well...

mobbie

• seven006
    seven006

Mobbie

I didn't read the news link because I did not want to give KGW my e-mail address so they could join the army of e-mail spamers I already have. It's been almost two years ago but I thought the Bryant murders were before the Longo ones. I have it all archived but am too busy to take the time to look it up.

I was just jabbing you about Mac. Most people throw an "a" in it. I got fairly close to the Bryant case having my brother in law who owns the Mac Newspaper do the interview with Sharon Roe the sister of Robert Bryant's wife. I am also friends with the funeral home owner that had to go out and retrieve the bodies three weeks after the incident happened. I talked to Sharon Roe for several months after the murders and gained a good insight on what made Robert do what he did.

I also followed the Longo case fairly close and had correspondence with his lawyers. The guy was an ass so I backed out of dealing with it.

From what little you said about your situation I wouldn't see any parallels between those two cases and your husband except for the fact he was in the religion. If he starts getting really weird you might look into make some adjustments in you life. That religion is heavy on mind control and what the average person sees as normal or acceptable a JW may see completely different. JW's also feel no guilt or blame for doing something out of the ordinary that they fell justifies their actions based on their belief. If you two have children together and the blood issue comes up, prepare for a vicious battle. Another thing they are famous for is pulling the wool over the eyes of social workers and Judges when it comes to child custody battles.

Their number one concern is how the religion comes off looking and they are not concerned who gets hurt in the process. They are the exact definition of a cult and as with all cult members, they will never see it.

Take care,

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit